OT: Dangerous counterfeit laptop chargers seller fined

A heads up,

Council notice with pictures

business was laptop-chargers.co.uk

Reply to
Adrian C

Er, opps, 16 Nov 2009 - shoot me ....

Reply to
Adrian C

In article , Adrian C writes

"Investigators were able to pour over a maximum of six years' worth..." ^^^^ What is it with reporters these days? Even the Torygraph gets it wrong, and on the front page no less.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

"Investigators were able to pour over a maximum of six years' worth of accounts"

Tssk, ITTM "to pore over".

Reply to
Steve Firth
[...]

Reliance on spell checking, I would imagine.

If it hasn't got a wiggly line under it, then it must be correct...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, part of the story is current ... Evans was sent to prison on 13 Nov

2009, but the confiscation order for £100k was made on 2nd November 2010.

Shoot the journalist, though:

Investigators were able to pour over a maximum of six years' worth of accounts to establish his criminal liability ... s/pour/pore/

The scary thing is the photo of the fake "Sony" label on the dodgy "Sony" PSU. It looks quite convincing.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

At the Guardian, even if it has got a wiggly line underneath it, it's apparently OK. I've lost count of the number of actual spelling errors I've seen recently, including IIRC (on the front page) "Mililband".

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I bought what turned out to be a fake USB memory stick on eBay. The packaging & labelling was *utterly* convincing.

Reply to
Huge

I bought a fake pair of Creative EP-630 earphones on eBay from China, packaging and actual product was very well faked. The product itself was actually ok probably not as good as original but I still use them today. Only cost £ 6.30.

Reply to
Nick Le Lievre

Reply to
Jack

For jounalists: paw.

Reply to
PeterC

Didn't that use to be 'The Muncaster Grudian'? ;o)

Reply to
Tinkerer

Private Eye always calls it the Grauniad

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I thought Private Eye rang the changes every now and then by calling it the "Garundia". Or perhaps they mis-spelled "Grauniad".

Anyway, some leodraps can't change their stops.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Jack writes

Yes, I was thinking that

how crap can the originals be ?

Reply to
geoff

Volume is only roughly 15 a day, which is barely 1 an hour, which indicates they either sold a) an awful lot of other products or b) they were making an absolute killing on one product (illegally) or c) using it merely as a second top-up income (pay the electricity & gas bill, car insurance, house insurance) or d) a student using it to give them effectively 27hrs in a 24hr day re money.

The originals are not crap, people have small cases which carry the laptop and not the PSU. Thus they want a PSU at home... at the office... spare in the car... etc.

Reply to
js.b1

It would be pretty pointless having a poor label, that is what most people would spot immediately.

I bought a "Sennheiser" microphone from a Chinese seller on Ebay expecting it to be a copy. I use the real thing all the time and when the Chinese item arrived it appeared externally to be the same, the insides also appeared correct, the only obvious difference was in the zip bag it came in.

On close comparative inspection the band around the grill was about 1mm different to the genuine article, the wire on the coil was of a heavier gauge and the material inside the mesh cover was thinner than original.

It was a very good copy and if I hadn't had a genuine one to compare it against I would not have known the difference. Audio quality was fractionally down at the higher frequencies, but I doubt if all but an expert would have noticed, I didn't.

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C saying something like:

"Investigators were able to pour over "

I'm not surprised they were dangerous, then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon