OT - Daily Mail Eco Bollocks - "Big brother to switch off your fridge"

And you think the teenagers are going to remember which socket to plug something in to? Or the average person, come to that.

You think anyone is going to convert their existing house to that - put all your furniture in storage, move out, have all the walls bashed around to have a second set of cabling installed, replaster, complete redecoration, move back in.

Dream on.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I honestly can't see that for the mark space ratio that a fridge compressor on a decent fridge-freezer runs at it is even worth the bother. An electric immersion heater that was on a smart meter to use nigh time energy might make a little bit more sense.

Given the propensity of certain washing machines to catch fire I am not sure I would ever want to let mine run overnight anyway.

You missed the bit where they ruin the existing ring main or a hidden water pipe by accidentally drilling into it somewhere along the line.

Reply to
Martin Brown

'twas on a Monday morning that the gas man came to call .....

Reply to
charles

I've looked at 2 houses now that have parallel wiring systems for 110V and BFO transformers tucked away somewhere. Most odd. I would have thought it would have been *much* cheaper for American ex-pats to throw away their electrical appliances and buy new ones here, and get a proper washing machine into the bargain.

Reply to
Huge

In the model train world it's expensive coreless motors that brick if the PWM frequency is too low.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It does.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

But not relative to the others.

Reply to
John Williamson

Ahbut, the Merkins think that *their* stuff is infintely superior to anything available outside the US of A.

If they work for the forces, then moving stuff around the world is free for them, and as they may move every few months....

Were the houses you looked at fairly close to a base, and in an estate of suspiciously similar-looking ones? Almost as if they'd been built to accommodate US personnel during the Cold War?

Reply to
John Williamson

It makes little sense to switch it off for seconds when a filled freezer can be left off for an hour without issue. Just shift the temp setting by 1C.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They are dumb enough to think that their gear is the best in the world.

The Japanese may actually have a point believing that but much of their kit will run on anything since half the country is 50Hz and half on 60Hz depending on whether it was under US or UK influence after WWII.

Most portable equipment sold in the ROW these days will accept 50-60Hz

100-240v ac and run quite happily. Americans still have 60Hz only 110v.

I still recall discovering how my Ronson electric razor was supposed to work when I first visited the US. A crap design that relied on a 60Hz mechanical resonance. I have used Braun or a wet shave ever since.

Reply to
Martin Brown

There was such an estate at the side of Holy Loch, near Dunoon, in the

70s. Even their tv came from the base ship which replayed tapes of US programmes on a cable system.
Reply to
charles

(Andrew

The logic does not follow. Since "the others" can and do change frequency as a group, the frequency of any individual one *must* also change so as to remain in sync.

Reply to
John Rumm

ah well we went high frequency many moons ago. For that very reason.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

across the whole grid, yes, not across any individual generator with respect to any other.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the most curious and interesting projects I ever worked on was a digital stiorage scope for Gould Advance which could run on anything from 48vDC to 250VAC without changing any settings whatsoever. All handled by a pretty good SMPS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed they keep the long term average frequency equal to 50.0000Hz but the spot frequency is dependent on actual load. Notably they run faster at night when the load is light - this used to be mildly annoying in the bad old days when telescopes used mains synchronous motors.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That wasn't the issue.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well, so did model trains, to be fair.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well... Back in the day I saw an engineer brick £159,000 of avionics because he connected it to a lab PSU and applied 50Hz instead of 400Hz. The was very impressive.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Very true. Well, their belief itself is true. It isn't true that their stuff is infinitely superior.

Naah. I wouldn't dream of living in such a place.

Reply to
Huge