OT - Daft word being painted on vans.

Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

Reply to
John

Thus spake John ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Private Eye lampooned this idiotic practice for some time.

I don't think it's used so much in company names; it seems to be used more to summarise the company's type of business.

How about (hypothetically):

Washroom Solutions Solutions - manufacturers of cleaning fluids for toilets :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

A bit like "logistics" appearing on delivery vans a few years ago.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Must go and get my haircut somewhere else - My Barber's only has Stuff magazine and The Sun.

Reply to
John

Not only did "logistics" appear on vans, but delivery company names were actually changed to include it.

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew what on earth it meant. There was a subtle clue in the fact that the company owned vans that were used to deliver things. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than "transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

Reply to
Jethro

Of course, but none of that was new to most of these companies.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So why not say that, rather than use a silly buzzword that no-one understands?

Reply to
Bruce

Don't be ridiculous. Companies have to use buzzwords and acronyms that even their employees don't understand.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Answer: Dissolving into laughter!

Reply to
terry

Here is my two penn'orth. It drives me mad on the very frequent occasions when I see something marked as "New and Improved". That is a physical impossibility. To be New it cannot have existed previously but to be improved it must have existed previously. Doh!

Reply to
Tinkerer

Talking of this, could sks please explain the difference between "feedback" and "360 degree feedback"?

I suspect 360 degree is used when the talk just goes round in circles, but I'm not sure.

John

Reply to
John J Armstrong

You're absolutely right. I apologise. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

It's when you get to be rude about your boss, as well as vice versa.

Ideally this should be anonymous :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Logistics isn't a buzzword in my book. It is the word to use when describing the activities associated with managing and operating all aspects of a supply chain.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or the "all new music station" that plays the same music that it was playing before it became an "all new music station".

And why is everything an "issue" this days not a "problem" or a "fault"?

"We are sorry that your internet connection has failed there is an issue with a router. Engineers are attempting to resolve this issue as soon as possible."

An "issue" is something a person has with some other action or decision taken by others. Equipment can't have "issues" it can only fail or develop and fault.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Logistics isn't a buzzword in my book. It is the word to use when describing the activities associated with managing and operating all aspects of a supply chain.

Reply to
John

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

...............back to "solutions". Any really good examples?

Reply to
John

I saw a van with 'Infrastructure Facilities Provider' written on the side - no 'kin idea what they do.

Spose I could call myself a 'Domestic Dwelling Maintenance Solutions Enabler'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wrong. The true meaning of logistics is "organisation" and/or "management". It can apply to almost any aspect of a business, or of any kind of operation, including military (which was the origin of the term) to describe the organisation and/or management of resources of almost any kind, including equipment, materials and people, to achieve desired goals.

However, the term has been hijacked by the supply chain and given a narrow usage in relation to the transportation and storage of supplies.

Reply to
Bruce