OT Cyclists and imperial measurements?

There was a phrase in the programme that started this thread

MAMIL = middle aged men in lycra

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you paying a pedestrian tax?

Reply to
dennis

+1

Because I've yet to see Dobbin charging down the road going through a red light - and in Cambridge, barging into a pedestrian on a crossing in the process.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nor do you.

Reply to
soup

They do around here, usually pulling a two man trap.

Reply to
dennis

Or, as I saw at Bank Junction in the City (a favourite place for watching cyclist scofflaws) returning to assault a pedestrian who had just remonstrated with a cyclist who ran the pedestrian phase of the lights.

Reply to
Huge

I've got two, and I suspect you've got one.

Reply to
Clive George

Read your household contents policy. Do it properly, unlike TMH.

Reply to
Clive George

Which company? Got the policy docs available online? I've not yet met one which doesn't.

Reply to
Clive George

You are nodding off. I've already pointed out that me reading my policy is not the issue. Even if I were to do so, and found such a clause, I'd be on the phone the next minute to get that cover removed to reduce my premium. I want a cyclist who believes he *has* such cover, to *verify* the fact. And quote the relevant god-damn clauses here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm not interested in your suspicions about my contents cover. Quote your own here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is, because I'm fairly sure the cover is there in your policy, you just haven't seen it.

3rd party insurance for cyclists costs bugger all - the administration to remove it and make your policy non-standard would cost more than the cover.

I have, and I've done it before. I've never seen a contents policy without it.

26, section 2. Black and white.

"We will pay all amounts you, or any member of your family, become legally liable for as a result of living in your home, or for any other reason, as a result of a) accidental death of or bodily injury to any person; or b) accidental loss of or damage to property; caused during the period of insurance shown in the schedule."

"any other reason" means it includes riding a bike. There are exceptions

- driving motorised vehicles is one, which is why you need separate car insurance for this cover. Riding a bike is not in the exceptions.

Now where's your policy? Are you brave enough to post a reference to it online even if it proves you were wrong?

And yes, I have successfully claimed on a similar policy. The insurance works.

Reply to
Clive George

Glory be - a result. Not that it's specifically about bikes, it's wider than that and potentially quite useful - thank you.

Wrong about what? The statement had been made that "home contents cover does it" or words to that effect. I was asking for verification - see above - which you have provided.

Mine is at:

and similar verbiage to yours may be seen on P22.

Course you have to be a home-owner.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thank you. I'm guessing you won't be calling in to cancel it :-)

Or a tenant - it's on the contents policy, not the buildings.

Reply to
Clive George

Is that a racist comment or a sexual preference ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

No because it is far broader 9and therefore more useful to me) than just events occurring while riding a bike.

Good point.

Reply to
Tim Streater

True story.

Friend was moving away on a green light when a cyclist cutting the lights i= n the cross stream ran slap bang into him. There was a squad car coming the= other who saw the whole thing. He also got the name and address of the mot= orist behind him as a witness.

Reported it to his insurance company with full details of old Bill and the = witness.

Job done, he thought.

Several months later he checked with his insurance company what had transpi= red and was horrified to find them on the point of paying out =A318,000 for= a claim made by the cyclist.

He employed a solicitor to point out to them the error of their ways and pu= t a stop to the whole farrago.

You have to remember the insurance companies couldn't give a flying **** as= they are spending YOUR money, not theirs.

Wasn't there a law passed recently that declared that in any accident betwe= en a motor vehicle and a cyclist it was always to be taken it was the motor= ists fault.

I cycle regularly, usually on small country roads, and find that the majori= ty of motorists are courteous and accomodating but there is always the odd = bastard who would think nothing of squeezing you into the ditch.

Reply to
fred

If you are going to inform of this, please let us have a link of some sort.

Reply to
polygonum

Of course it is. You wouldn't expect a home contents policy to have cover just specifically for cycling, would you?

Reply to
Alan Braggins

It was in Holland, iirc. Of course, the more unthinking lycras were braying for it to happen in the UK, too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon