OT. Cunning plan....

I don't give a toss what you call them but they are a PITA.

Cost Councils i.e. tax payers, a small fortune to clear up after them and in mostly futile attempts to stop them invading public spaces, which they then foul up. Farmers too are firced to blight the countryside with any means at hand to stop these freeloaders, who no doubt when ill, are first in line at A&E and when their roaving days are over, expect their kids to be educated at facitilies provided by others or live in public provided housing. Not to mention their crappy vans, which I simply do not believe would pass the MOT test that the lawabiding are forced to adhere to.

There's nothing racist about it.

I don't mind them opting our if they can find someone to provide a suitable field for free buit don't then expect to take advantage of the facilities provided by the hard work of other. If you want to live in the stoneage, then that's your choice but you can't expect to have it both way and be welcomed.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Couple of years ago they invaded the car park serving our small town centre. Medway Council are very hot on parking & I've had a few run ins with them - no quarter is given.

Parking Services number was on the tarif board, so I rang them. Let them know that Transits & caravans were all illegally parked, no pay & display tickets, in disabled bays etc.

The guy said he would call the Councils 'traveller liason officer'. I asked him to send a few traffic wardens down to issue tickets. Couldn't do that, they might be intimidated.

I asked if I could park for free if I intimidated the wardens, but apparently not.

We now have a height barrier. Which means I can't get my van in, so I have to park half a mile away when I want to pay money into the bank.

My council tax pays for these height barriers, cleaning up the car park, the wages of the 'liason officer' and now I can't use the piggin car park that I pay for either.

And 'dtechy' wonders why I don't like Pikeys!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Racist: noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races. (OED)

You *are* racist; get over it. Or, preferably, have a read of 'Bury Me Standing: Gypsies and Their Journey' by Isabel Fonseca, and you might rethink.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

How many brain cells did you kill with that impressive response Geoff are you a pikey by any chance

-- dtechy

Reply to
dtechy

I think you are confusing Pikeys & Gypsies Rob. True Gypsies (of which there are few) don't cause the trouble & stress to locals that Pikeys do. Two entirely different things.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So it's OK to leave piles of excrement, reeking garbage & rusting scrap in public places if you happen to be a bit brown?

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

Yup. I think Our Tone has hit the pikey on the head.

People who, irrespective of racial, ethnic, religious, or any other origin, choose (or find they have no option but) to live more or less outside the laws of what constitutes consensus society.

Who don't pay income or council tax, don't tax, insure or MOT their vehicles half the time, probably run them on central heating oil stolen from tanks, make what little money they do by stealing what is easy to steal and selling it on, and whose idea of refuse disposal is to simply leave it where it is, and move on.

But who probably DO use free hospital dental and medical serveices, and occasionally free education. Who mots certainly use free roads, water and probabaly someone else's electricity.

Hunter Gatherers in an urban society.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think 'pikey' is a race. At least I don't recall it on the list of racial/ethnic groups in the last census.

Pikey means 'of the road', turnpike and all that. i.e. traveller.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Aye, that's the rub. It's the 'expecting it both ways' bit that incenses.

Its one thing to wander along a wilderness seashore, picking up crabs, rubbing two sticks together to light a fire and eating them, but rather a different thing to wander down the high street, gathering lead and copper out of working installations, and sell it to buy fish and chips.

The answer is obvious. Wander by night into a Pikey camp and nick everything you can. Again and again.

If the simple act of possession is what someone lives by, then so mote it be. Relieve them if their possessions.

Such lessons I have always found to be the most instructive.

I have done it myself to someone with this sort of attitude.. 'where did you learn that trick?' 'From you....'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't be daft. These people aren't gyspies.

They MIGHT once have been Irish, a hundred years ago.

There is a world of difference between genuine travellers and thieving pikey bastards..

I haven't seem genuine gypsies in YEARS. The very few travellers I know, have bought/rented houses and got out of it. They don't want to be associated with 'thieving pikey bastards' *because* they are not..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIUI 'pikey' can mean two groups: the underclass; and/or travellers/gypsies (Roma etc - it's complicated, hence the Franseca reference).

If Andy was referring to the underclass, then I'd relax the racist reference and substitute 'limited'. I suspect you are referring to a local and particular group of people.

However, the reference to vans, roaving (meaning roaming perhaps) and fields led me to think he was referring to the second group in a general (and uninformed) sense - hence my remarks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

What on earth are you talking about?

Something you're afraid of by any chance?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

In article , geoff scribeth thus

NP has often got a lot of good points.. And on this one I'm in total agreement having suffered at the hands of these thieving Pikey Outlaw scum:(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Try living out in the Fens for a while and I think you'll be left in no doubt at all that there is a lawless outlaw component of the populace...

Reply to
tony sayer

What on earth are you talking about?

(Thanks for reminding me I'd actually forgotten to killfile you. Done, now. No-one who routinely plays the racist card has anything to say worth reading.)

Reply to
Huge

None of whom have any identifiable ethnic background to distinguish them from other people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sometimes the Pikeys come off worst...

Reply to
PCPaul

Reading the book clearly did you no good, IF you noticed, I did not criticise a group but BEHAVIOUR.

It's beyond me why you're prepared to pay for other people's abuse of the system but I guess it's your choice if you're stupid enough.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

There was one somewhere up north just recently. Police found substations had been forced open and copper stolen. They went round them all to get them secured against children, etc. They found the theif in one, fried to a crisp as he was hacksawing through a live cable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel