OT: Cunning new scam.

That's safe then as I haven't dished-out *any* cheques in at least 5 years. Recently had to pay council for a dropped kerb, they were asking for payment by cheque with no method of accepting payment by plastic or electronic transfer ... eventually I took cash into their office.

Nope I no longer know it/have it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But it only asks for the last 4 digits, so even if you can't remember them, they're visible anyway.

Especially as surname, sortcode and account number are all embossed on the card and you can log in using those, so if someone obtains your card, the security is *all* in the PIN.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How many fing times do I have to say that it asks for five digits FFS!

membership

Exactly all the other stuff is just a waste of time and bandwidth.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well IMO you shouldn't be able to log in with that info. It should require your member number and the one-time password the toy generates; that should be the only method. The process also confirms that the card being used belongs to you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It may ask *you* for 5. It only asks *me* for 4 - which are visible while the card is in the toy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

depends for me it;'s teh order in which I recived them usually spaced by months so not difficult to remmeber but I'm down to 1 card so don't have that problem.

Suppsoe I had a Natwest and a lloyds I could order them alphabetically or chronologically or by colour.

I assume it takes that info and the date/time and generates a random code unigue to that account. I don't find it a problem.

Not on mine it doesn't it asks for the last 4 numbers of teh card and that silly 3 digit number on the back. well that was last month anyway haven;t checkm it this month.,

What's a reasonable machine

Has yours got a handle to crack for manual startup ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Or you're an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Actually, there is no "or".

Reply to
Huge

mine in fact asks me for 8...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find it didturbing when it happens on the bus, people give out credit car d details address and all sorts of things along with their medical problems , even worse a friends told me he had to give all this info out at an emplo yment office shouting the details out so the assistant could hear him.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No reason not to write them down, so long as you don't keep them in a spreadsheet called "Passwords", or pinned on the wall, again marked "Passwords".

Reply to
Huge

Why? There is no security state lodged in the Barclays token.

Reply to
Huge

Just clean the logos off it.

Reply to
Huge

Have you ever tried using thae random number 5 minutes later ? I did and it doesn;t work, so you can't just use any old 8 digits and hoep to then find teh ONE set that will work.

yep that why it's the last 4 digits of your card as that's all you can see.

But would you, I wouldn;t spends time search for something that didn't exist.

So how would someone at the atm know your ~10 digit number you know the one you refuse to have stored on your computer. You can't pay for things at an atm can you ? It is more secure becausee you need to know your 10 digit number.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ha! fooled you. I named mine "webpasswords".

I once worked somewhere where someone wrote all the system passwords and usernames on PostIts and stuck them on his office window. When I told him to remove them he pointed to his solid office door and the fact he was on the fourth floor and the writing was on the office side of the PostIts.

So the next evening I took him outside, got out my 8x60 binoculars and read him out each password. Apparently ability to read mirror writing and the illumination of the paper from inside hadn't occurred to him.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That is pretty funny though.

The PIN is a bit short to be secure on an automated system. You can guess 4 digits with 0.01% chance of getting it right (actually slightly better than that since some like 0000 1111 1234 are not allowed).

You get three goes before card blocking so your odds of getting in are around 1:3333 with a basic brute force attack.

Most bank security relies on at least two methods of proving who you are based on preshared information known only to you and the bank. In fact they should have only a secure hash of your supplied information. They can tell if you input the same password but not what it is.

Many secondary security systems use an unconventional data input to try and fox keyloggers. I am not convinced they work against the higher end malware and I find Trusteer rapport makes some browsers unstable.

The ones which ask for a small number of characters out of a much larger string are amongst the more secure, but only if you can remember this information without writing it down every time!

I recently got a genuine email from Natwest that broke just about every security rule in the book with many direct sales links in it. Ho hum :( (careful analysis of headers proved it was genuine)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well it's 4 for me as a barclays customer.

I assume it's for thgose that keep their 4 digit pin number in their diary, in those cases if yuyo steal soemones bag then they have your card, they bo rrow a card reader they have yuo pin so can go to an internet cafe to trans fer yuor saving out of yuor account but hold on then also need your memeber ship number which you shouldn't write in your diary either.

if they break into your home and get your card that doesn't give them your pin or memebership numbers.

It's an added level; of security as many people don;t seem to understand wh at's going on.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And, at least in the case of Barclays, selecting two random letters from your randomly chosen "memorable" word, which, of course, you haven't written down, have you?.

Reply to
John Williamson

in my case - not Barclays - it's 3 letters. I can count on my fingers and it's not written down anywhere.

Reply to
charles

But the source is not secure or secret so it add nothing to the security of access.

Is that using surname/membership or sortcode/cardnumber? I'm using the former.

infromation

Dual core 2.8 GHz something or other.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can't write something down I don't have... So how many variations of login have we for Barclays now, three, four, more?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice