OT: Cunning new scam.

No it requires even more, having just had to endure it. It needs:

The calculator type device. A Barclays debit card. The PIN for the card. Your surname. Your membership number. The last 5 digits of the above DC. The 8 digit code you get from the device after selecting "Identify" and entering the DC PIN.

The site also doesn't work at all if you don't have javascript.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You enter username and password then whatever the key coder throws up...

So they could nick the fob but unless they know your user name and password then their no further forward as IIRC it locks the account after a very few wrong tries or at least used to..

Reply to
tony sayer

HSBC needs a username, password and the six digit number from the fob. The fob needs to be set up with the account before it will work to let you in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why does the fob need the account number? You register it's serial number with the HSBC site before it will let you in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's some risk you don't have your PIN?

It will remember those for you.

Four digits, not five (at least in my case)

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well there is a chance I might forget it, at least my brain rot only makes me slow rather than what was the question? or who are you? When the chip 'n pin first came in I could only remember 2 PINs at a time tricky when you have three cards with PINs...

I choose not to let my computer do that.

Definately 5. Four is weak as it's the last four that are quoted on payment slips etc.

It's then as slow as the M11 in a snowstorm. There is very little reason for a site to be 100% reliant on javascript. For my "user experience" I want a site that loads quickly and is simple and clear. I don't want fancy animated zooming popup windows or to select x then y when a simple drop down list of y or even just displaying the list with radio buttons would do the job in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Read the bit at the bottom "I don't have my PINsentry card reader", note the option "Log in with your Online Banking 5-digit passcode and memorable word"

If you are using the pin sentry, then you need your name, and then either :

your membership number OR the long debit card number OR sort code and account number.

(since both the last ones are on the card they ought to be easy)

or 4 sometimes

True of many alas these days.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its either faulty or you have the one made for people that can't manage a PIN.

You have to phone them.

Reply to
dennis

You can't on mine and the codes are on valid for specific accounts. You enter the serial number on the account and the codes generated are linked.

Reply to
dennis

radio buttons usually require javascript to do anything useful, do you mean tickboxes?

Reply to
dennis

That's odd, I'm using an 8 digit code to activate mine.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

4 for mine.
Reply to
Clive George

IIRC the minimum was four. You only get about three attempts to get it right before it locks so going to eight just makes it more likely to have it written down somewhere.

Reply to
dennis

No, with tickboxes you can select more than one. Radio buttons are mutally exclusive only one from a named block of them can be active at any one time. Both are available in the normal HTML tag.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

have

And if you don't have access to a working phone?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These smart alecs with increasingly difficult password requirements have defeated the purpose as almost every body writes them down now as they become impossible to remember

Reply to
F Murtz

OK, I know the answer to avoid the scam. Just live in New Zealand, where the call is disconnected if the person called hangs up. The caller then gets a beep beep beep signal. I have just tested it.

Reply to
Matty F

Likewise, and I keep the card reader locked away. Having to go and find it and (since I use it rarely) remind myself how it works just adds to the hassle.

I do like systems where you enter some info, then they show you a phrase or picture that you've defined as yours (so although you might still fall prey to a man-in-the-middle attack, a simple scamming website won't be able to show that), then you enter some other info.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

The one I like - though they're now preferencing their personal card reader

- is the Nationwide giving you a six-digit number and asking you for three digits when you log in, e.g. second, fourth and fifth. Even if someone had tapped into the line or was looking over your shoulder this info wouldn't be very useful since the next login will ask for different numbers.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why? They're all the same - yours is not tailored to you at all, and the bank branch will have one that they might ask you to use for some transactions. So there's no reason to lock it up and it's no particular value to a thief if it gets nicked.

It's easy to use - shove the card in and follow the instructions.

Reply to
Tim Streater