OT: Cunning new scam.

embossed on

Maybe so but the banks all seem happy with it for ATMs, Chip 'n Pin readers etc.

What other secret information is the barclays login using?

Surname - nope, on the card.

Membership number - nope - it's supplied with a nice lamination kit to keep in your wallet/purse. No warnings to keep it secret like a PIN.

Card number - nope on the card.

That leaves just the card PIN for use in *any* PINSentry device to generate the eight digit code. If the device was login specific that would be a second layer.

Don't like those, difficult to select the letters in the head, much easier to write them down...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except when I login it asks for the last five...

So you never research for anything you buy or perhaps feel a need for? How odd.

membership

They don't need to know it use use and ATM all they need is the card and the PIN. The online login boils down to exactly the same security so what is the use of all the other information most of which is on the card?

No, but you can withdraw cash...

Except there is no requirement to keep that secret or secure... If there is why do they provide means to protect it in your wallet or purse? How come they allow it to be stored on any computer? There are no instructions to keep it secure or memorise and destroy like there are for PINs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Are you *quite* sure about that?

And looking at the source of the page, it looks like it *could* ask for the first, second, or third set of four digits instead, all four DIVs start off hidden, the javascript unhides one of them (has always been the last set of four for me).

First 4 digits of debit card number Second 4 digits of debit card number Third 4 digits of debit card number Last 4 digits of debit card number

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are we all talking about Barclays here, or different banks?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nope, because I don't have a memorable word.

I quite like the Santander (ex-Sprogget & Sylvester) login where it shows you a chosen picture as part of the login as a confidence check that you have not somehow been tricked into logging into a spoof site, Investec do similar and display a phrase which you set, rather than a picture.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Do you mean trying to use the same code more than once, or generating the code, but not logging immediately, instead using it at a later time?

I can tell you for a fact that (for me) the latter works at least two days after being generated ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, how difficult is it to understand that it does not ask the same questions for all account / card types?

Just because it asks you for four digits, does not preclude it asking others for a different number.

Reply to
John Rumm

They told you that you wouldn't be paid if you forgot the number they were about to read out to you, clearly and just once.

Out of about 300 RAF National Servicemen, just one unhappy individual forgot (and was mocked).

Reply to
Windmill

Had a call last night, about 1030 from the manager of a night club. Apparently they had a young lad there who had tried to buy 1400 quids worth of champagne with one of my cards and claimed to be my Granson. He couldn't give me the card number but suggested that I call the number on the back of my Visa (was adamant that it had to be Visa) card to ask if there had been any suspicious transactions.

Unfortunately for him my phone is configured to call out on a different line (don't ask) so I can no way of reconnecting with him otherwise I could have had even more fun.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

I have a friend who one day couldn't remember the pin she'd had for several years. Didn't ever remember it again either. That is spooky.

Reply to
stuart noble

Transient Ischaemic Event, perhaps?

Reply to
Huge

Sounds like.

OTOH for as long as I can remember I've had the kind of memory which will occasionally just refuse to come up with the item I want. Then later it will work without trouble; the desired item appears in my mind whenever I want it. Once I just could not remember the date when the Scottish and English parliaments merged. (1707.)

Transient Idiocy Attack, I fear!

Reply to
Windmill

In message , Windmill writes

I suffer from that. Particularly connected to names. Numbers are usually OK.

Curiously, my memory seems linked by sounds. Mentally, running through the alphabet phonetically will often bring up the missing word!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I find with things link PINs, you tend to remember them instinctively without needing to think about it. The moment you stop and think, you sometimes realise that you can't remember!

Reply to
John Rumm

Seems to need the obligatory:

John Rumm