OT: Crematorium heat

Quite so. But it always amuses me to see the twaddle in the newspapers "Ooh its going to be radioactive for millions of years!" as if this is somehow important.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I saw a documentary that said US scrapyards have radiation detectors at the gate to stop contaminated loads going in. I don't think the Chinese scrapyards bother. What does happen to the steel from decommissioned US nuclear plants? Does anyone use spoons made in China?

Reply to
Matty F

indeed. If its radioactive for millions of years, it is , by definition, only slightly radioactive at all.

People then go on to say 'yebbut the sort of radioactivity is those nasty heavy particles that are really dangerous' at which point you point out that nasty heavy particles are the easiest to screen and a couple of inches of earth is all it takes.

Sigh.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe someone should do a spoof official document describing how legislation will be drawn up to demolish all buildings containing granite, also regulations for the safe disposal of granite worktops (and for preventing the use of granite worktops where children may have access). All watches with luminous dials must be handed in to special government disposal locations, the owner to pay for disposal costs, ownership of a watch with a luminous dial to be a criminal offence (anti-terrorist laws could be used here). Dartmoor, Cumbria, Aberdeen et al to be buried under 3 feet of lead sheet with a 10 mile exclusion zone around them.

Reply to
Paul Herber

will be drawn

disposal of

There was a very good official publication around a few years ago discussing the public perception of risk. One of their main findings was that people have a very subjective assessment of risk. If the consequence of something, such as an air crash, is catastrophic, then the fact that the likelihood is remote does not register, and the perceived risk is high.

This can lead to illogical decisions. Motorway accidents can be serious, they are however, the safest roads overall. Sticking to lesser roads actually increases the likelihood of being in an accident.

When, following the Hatfield incident, rail services were seriously reduced, those who had to travel by road instead were at greater risk than if train operations had continued as normal.

The report also had some interesting comparison tables. One that really surprised me was that deaths due to natural radon were running at about half those due to road accidents

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

Oddly, I haven't had one of those calls for ages. Must be the, "Shit buddy, how the hell did you get this number, have you any idea how much trouble you're in?" response I gave them the last time, followed by a click from their end.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm finding "Have you heard of the telephone preference service?" usually gets rid of 'em quite quickly. That's if ICBA picking it up after the fax has had a whistle at them.

It doesn't work on the recordings, but I tend to just put the phone down on the table on those and leave it there for a while. Anyone that I want to speak to calls the mobile number anyway.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have never had one here, but I was over at aunt in law's once installing her new laptop and wireless gear, when she got one of these calls. So she gave me the phone, and I answered as "Hi this is John, the IT manager". The Indian voice on the other end seemed to be getting a bit confused mind when I "misunderstood" his pitch and decided he must want help with his computer, and told him what it would cost ;-) Eventually we got to the "he had detected a a problem with your computer" bit, so I replied "which one? We have hundreds on site here!". He did not seem to know what to do then, and retreated to a more general sales pitch of "oh well if you do get a problem we can help you fix it etc".

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar saying something like:

Hah. I recall Gleneagles clubhouse/hotel was hooked up to such an arrangement. Several FIAT diesel gensets and the waste heat fed the CH. Much was claimed for it at the time, but I don't know if it worked long term.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon