OT: CPC vs Farnell prices

Exact same item, delivered from CPC but in Farnell packaging.

CPC £0.68 individually priced, buy 100 and the price drops to £0.47. Farnell £1.50 with minimum order quantity of 5, buy 100 and the price drops to £1.07. (all prices not including VAT). Even the 1000 off price from Farnell is nearly

30% more than the one off price from CPC!

Note that CPC are now charging normal retail price for the Bosch / Multimaster blades, Glad I stocked up with a few packs many months ago.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Saxton Blades is better by far.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was buing a fume extractor fan (back in 2009) and also found the price di ffernce confusing so I thought I'd ask onecall who are CPC & farnel and el ement14 ......

fume extractors type XYTRONIC 426DLX which you have two order codes for, i s there any difference between the two versions other than the extra £

30.30 one costs more than the other ?

4683705 £79.95 SD00895 £49.65

------------------------------------ Hi Dave Sorry I should have looked more closely, the SD00895 is product from CPC (c oding starts with letters), the other is a Farnell product. They are exact ly the same. The price difference occur as these companies operate as separate entities, Onecall just allows access and discounts to both via our onecall website. Joe Public doesn't have this luxury. Farnell carries a lot more over he ads, i.e. account managers, huge technical dept ect, so their prices will a lways be higher then CPC, who operate on extremely low over heads. I hope this all makes sense?

whisky-dave

Possibly so but at about 6 quid delivered for a pack of 5 blades the Bosch ones could be thrown away after one use :)

Reply to
The Other Mike
4683705 ?79.95 SD00895 ?49.65

------------------------------------ Hi Dave

Sorry I should have looked more closely, the SD00895 is product from CPC (coding starts with letters), the other is a Farnell product. They are exactly the same.

The price difference occur as these companies operate as separate entities, Onecall just allows access and discounts to both via our onecall website. Joe Public doesn't have this luxury. Farnell carries a lot more over heads, i.e. account managers, huge technical dept ect, so their prices will always be higher then CPC, who operate on extremely low over heads.

I hope this all makes sense?

I'm getting confused with all this. The website suggests they are one company:

mark

Reply to
mark

They are in the same group

Some history here

The Other Mike

CPC also do free delivery now, and I have bought a few items from them using their site.

Reply to
Bob H

Although the cheap Bosch ones at CPC were smaller than the "normal" ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't do goods inwards but I thought that, when ordering from Onecall, Farnell and CPC came in different deliveries. I suspect that's not always clear cut though.

Have you seen Royal Mail pricing these days? I wouldn't be surprised if UPS is cheaper, especially as they probably have a massive bulk discount. I agree though that I'd rather have things shoved through the letterbox than all the signed-for malarky.

With all the shipping lithium batteries saga, I've noticed the prices of such batteries have risen a lot at CPC - presumably to build in the extra cost of 'free' shipping by a lithium-friendly route. Though I thought UPS was one of the routes that would take batteries.

Can you not mix and match CPC and Farnell - free post for the bits you can get from CPC, pay the four quid when you can't? For my own stuff I have Onecall (personal academic discount), but often I use non-discounted CPC when the bits are less than 20 quid.

Horses for courses I suspect - I'm increasingly going to Digikey and Mouser for semiconductors that even Farnell don't stock. eBay is pretty much useless for me (for components anyway).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

That's what I do (onecall website) and the bits arrive in either Farnell boxes or a CPC one which mostly contains packaging but as long as we get it. They tend to arrive on the same day too, but not always, usually get two seperate invoices too.

We're not allowed to use ebay

Yes but their P&P is a bit annoying and with digikey we get a request from teh delierer for money due to import duties of something before they'll give us the goods or it gets sent back.

We also use amazon which can be useful for some componets

Reply to
whisky-dave

You can use Spiratronics direct, no need for eBay. I don't know about the others.

Reply to
cl

That's bad, UPS here delivers around 1500 +/- 20 minutes and we've had the same driver for years. He'll leave stuff on the rare occasion no one is in.

Postie delivery time has become a bit more random recently, can be anywhere from 0900 to 1100. Used to be able to set your watch to 0930 by the arrival of the post. But again they'll leave stuff or pop it behind the door.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They appear to have had a re-think round here, having shut the sorting office within the village years ago, they use a nearby office instead, the posties all drove (in their own cars) to the delivery areas, and frequently couldn't carry all the parcels in their bags so you just got a card even if you were in, or there was sometimes a separate van just doing parcels.

Now, two posties turn up in a shiny van, remove two little trolleys from the back of the van, and cover half the estate each, presumably they can now carry all the parcels. I think this might be in preparation for closing the nearby office and using one even further away, which will be less convenient for missed parcels - though it might have more parking.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also worth taking a look at Rapid online - if they stock it then they may be cheaper than either for some items.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Would second Rapid as ny first choice, customer service is also nothing sho rt of stellar.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

It will depend on what you need, but I find they very often simply don't stock what I want. But do like them if and when they do.

CPC tends to be my first choice these days - generally unbeatable prices and free delivery with no minimum charge. Of course they don't always have what I need either. Farnell usually does if they don't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did notice something yesterday and I don't blame CPC really). I wanted a 3 gang switched power strip (no cable). £2.80 or thereabouts. The website said it wasn't economic to send just that and could I make the order up to £5.

I don't blame them - the carriage cost would probably have exceeded the cost of the item.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Right. I only use them for electronic components which are generally small and light. Doesn't stop them going overboard with the packaging sometimes, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do order bigger stuff but more normally that's in a large order. I just happen to need this within the next few days.

But yes...components generally come in a Jiffy bag!

Reply to
Bob Eager