OT - Cowboys & the floods

I might wear the trousers in our house, but SWMBO tells me which ones ;-))

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Thanks for your comments.

We are being philosophical about things. There are far worse things happening in this world to worry about things which are replaceable at the end of the day.

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

That was only one example from several of which I've been told about!

There are also several instances where items which have been removed from inside peoples properties ready to be assessed by the various loss adjusters & left in gardens, have then mysteriously disappeared during the night.

The area I'm talking about? Well that's the now famous 'forgotten City'.

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

I know where you mean. The flooding in Hull was missed out of the news for some reason. More houses were flooded in Hull than in all of South Yorkshire put together and no Prince Charles turning up to "help". Forgotten it was. You have my sympathies.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Do you mean me?

I'm anything but left wing, renowned for my illiberality and believe that there's nothing as unfeminine as a feminist. Or even femenist.

You can diminish you're wife's status but using a childish word, it doesn't bother me, if it doesn't bother her either it's no problem to anyone is it?

I wonder if you took her as your lawful wedded wifey?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What about big women?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite right too - she has to look at you, you don't see what you look like :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I heard a woman saying that she couldn't take an offer of temporary hospitality because she had to stay and prevent looters taking her rubbish - people had even taken planks of wood! Then she complained that she hadn't been given a skip ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hull is getting a lot of coverage. Leeds had none.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well said. There's no point in worrying about things which have happened and no point in worrying about things which MIGHT happen.

If you worry you die. If you don't worry you still die.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes Hull is getting a lot of coverage now, but consider the fact that one in five properties have been damaged. Estimated costs of repairing the infrastructure is in excess of £200 million (although we have been promised £14 million from central government) & in all likelihood our Council Tax will treble next year. 12 schools closed for up to a year. Add to that the problem of the thousands which will be homeless for up to two years whilst repairs are made to their properties. Then there are the lucky ones who managed to find Hotel accommodation, albeit 100 miles away (that's going to be one hell of a commute for them if they're still lucky enough to have a job to come to).

I think if the situation had occurred 'down south' a "National Disaster" would have been declared. But saying that, we're just oiks up north!

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

No

OK, my 'spellcheck' missed that one

It bothered you enough to respond

I sure did...'wifey' to some is a term of endearment similarly 'hubby'.

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

And to my mind rather nicer than 'Spouse'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When my insurance company sent out some contractors to fix a collapsed drain a few years ago, they warned me in advance that I would need to give the contractors a cheque for £50 to cover the excess (as specified in my policy). This seemed a bit wierd but seemed to be standard practice.

OTOH, an insurance company expecting people to pay £100 without warning them beforehand is out of order.

Reply to
Simon

Everyone's building and content insurance will also rocket.

That will plese pupils :-)

I'm a northern oik and I don't see it like that. Stuff happens. We deal with it. If we can't we should be living in the s**th.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think 'hubby' is silly.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have you told him that?

;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Have I told who that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hubby...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Old German Proverb - :

Wennst trinkst stirbst If you drink you die

Wennst trinkst nicht stirbst auch If you don't, you die anyway

Also trink. Therefore drink.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard