OT - Cowboys & the floods

Having had to wait for nearly a fortnight for an 'Industrial Cleaning Company' to come & assess, remove + document flood damaged property, I was totally pi**ed off today when I came in from work!

Wifey..(sorry Mary,... or any other left wing liberal femenists), was crying her little cotton socks off when I came home.....the 'bastards' had only "asked" her for £100 up front to cover for any Insurance excess!

Guess what...I've gone into Victor Meldrew mode...& I smell meat ;-))

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Well that might be a lesson for you - don't agree to something if you don't know what it is you're agreeing to. In future CHECK, and don't leave others to be put in such a position.

Reply to
TJY

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 21:02:01 +0100, "TJY" mused:

Why do you bother posting?

Reply to
Lurch

I agree. All of his posts are negative or condemnatory.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably makes him feel better about *his own* f*ck ups.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Tagged: Tiscali Idiot

Reply to
Adrian C

Who's organised them?

If it's your insurance company then won't they send you the check to pay them at the end of the work (This is what happened with a friend recently after her claim was settled by the company) As far as I know they settle the amount with you less your excess and you have to pay them and make it up.

I hope she did the good wifey thing and said she wasn't allowed money in the home and if they wanted it they'd have to come back and talk to you.

Reply to
Mogga

Like Mogga, I also don't quite follow what happened. Was this the firm you were expecting sent by your insurers or were they opportunist con men? How did she know she had done anything wrong to evoke tears? What do you mean by the quotes around "asked"? Were they intimidating? I guess she actually paid up? Did they give her a receipt? Can you stop the cheque? What do your insurers say if they sent them? If not, have you reported this to the police? Or maybe Trading Standards who at least around here are hot on rogue traders and have a rapid response number to report them on (though I doubt if there's any point unless they're going door-to-door). The media are probably also looking for a new flood story angle. Don't be too hard on Mary, these people are very convincing and persuasive.

I have often wondered whether cowboys saddle up and head in droves for disasters, as insurers can't be too choosy when there's so much to do. Or do they stay away because they might have to do some real work if the insurers are checking? On a similar tack, is the looting we heard about on the news a new phenomenon? I don't remember it in previous disasters.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

On a similar tack, is the looting we heard about on the news a new phenomenon? I don't remember it in previous disasters.

Someone nicked couple of sandbags and the Barsley Chrinicle went into a frenzy about looting. Only confirmed report is of an abandoned car having it's stereo pinched.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The cleaning company is in fact the one authorised by my Insurance company to deal with things. I have in fact sent a fax to my 'Loss Adjuster' expressing my feelings :-)

My wife is too worldly wise to be conned/intimidated into paying any 'excess'. As for the tears, they were caused more by frustration & devastation she has had to endure over the past few days + the fact that she had just completed a 12hr nightshift!

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

What lesson you pillock?

We didn't agree to anything, nor are we stupid enough to part with cash because someone asks us to!

How have we left "others to be put in such a position"?

Finally, what medication are you taking?

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

There certainly has been looting in this area!

Within 3hrs of one elderly couple being evacuated from their Bungalow they had been burgled & all their electrical equipment stolen.

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

I think he was having a go at you not being at home and thus leaving your wife to deal with these 'people'.

Or to the point, what medication should he be on - does anyone else see similarities between the "TYJ" and "Drivel" style of posting?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Mmmm, I might be wrong but I thought the concept of the 'little woman' only being capable of cooking, cleaning & breeding ....died years ago!

Don.

Reply to
Don Spumey

Drivel is an idiot.

TYJ is just plain nasty.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 8 Jul 2007 10:18:57 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

But both appear to be incredibly backwards and retarded.

Reply to
Lurch

Are the British ones worse than the Belgian ones I wonder?

Weatherlawyer

Sitting distraught at the scene of a disaster soon brings back the ideal once the one that wears the trousers comes back from the pub.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I started a post about a week or so back built on my experience of a major flooding disaster.

It would seem that conmen and thieves have learned a lot since then. I wish you the very best out of all the things that are happening to you. I wish I could help in some way.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Which area?