OT Courier to pick up heavy item?

In message , Tim.. writes

It depends who you ring. Most couriers deal with parcels (one man handleable packages) but not much else. Most hauliers nowadays have got themselves into one of the pallet networks (palletline etc). Pallet Network type companies will really only deal with something that is on a stackable pallet - anything else, they either charge the earth or make sure it is dropped so you won't call again.

There are still hauliers who have stayed independent, and take care of your goods.

I've had local firms pick up glass cabinets for me in the past. Because it is usually the same driver who collects, as who delivers, on the same lorry, they seem to take more care. On the pallet networks it could be trans-shipped numerous times with no individual taking absolute responsibility.

Look through your yellow pages, ring the hauliers and ask them directly

- "are you a member of a pallet network". Discount all those that say yes, then ask of the others a price. Be honest on size / weight / description and they'll give you an honest price for the work.

Ask them to quote on a 'could go' rather than a 'must go' basis and the price should be okay. Expect about 30 - 40 pounds for a pallet *space* across 100 miles or so.

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

I was under the impression that the onus is on the householder to allow them to deliver without entering private property, hence the post box at the roadside. I have an intercom by the front gate, next to the post box, and they will use that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you do all the paperwork on-line it's much cheaper than by phone and you're in control

We use DHL exclusively and have been very impressed by the courtesy of the collector (always the same man), the speed of delivery and the care of our sometimes fragile parcels.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't think the H&S regs allow one man to lift 60 kgs, which kind of rules out couriers I would have thought.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No. There is a 35kg limit.

Frankly, its almost worth hiring a van and doing it yourself.

Guessing at around 200 miles, the opportunity cost of using your own vehicle, discounting time, is around £80.

With hire included, maybe £150-£180.

Getting it all palettised and trucked may cost more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on how much your time is worth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NO courier will take a > 35khg weight. I know, I tried.

Costs rocket. It cannot go through the standard hubs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

35kg is the limit.

The hubs that most couriers use..they all sub to each other - will only do that.

More than 35kg means a door to door truck with a lifting mechanism. = MUCH more expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I blame the educashun system.

But why get off your arse and do something yourself when you can start a debate on Usenet?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Could I be so bold as to ask the first half of your postcode, please. I spend a large chunk of my week dealing with negative feedback, it's nice to hear of a happy customer for a change.

Reply to
Keith

I received a Palletline delivery today. (An ebay purchase of a tractor rollover protection cage). Seller had put it on a pallet but it was delivered without a pallet. I wasn't in when it arrived so maybe the local driver heaved it off as it was easier that way. I have arranged perhaps 6 or so such collections / deliveries for chunky items, including a 1 ton blacksmiths power hammer and several JCB buckets, and they have all gone faultlessly - an excellent service.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

fetched back to

Palletline 3-4 day service £40 plus VAT. for my delivery today Midlands to Sussex coast. It would cost me more than that in diesel !!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I may be visiting Kent in a bit. I can get it as far as Telford if it'll fit in Xantia estate.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Did the seller palletise the object or did you instruct Palletline to take one with them and palletise it when they went for collection???

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , nightjar writes

not bad prices

Reply to
geoff

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

What did I say a few posts back?

?
Reply to
geoff

I just had an 85kg computer delivered. Had to be a special courier direct door-to-door run. They arrived 5 minutes after Goods-In had shut up and locked away the pallet trollies, so the two guys in the van had to carry the thing in to the right place (or take it away and redeliver tomorrow, which they decided not to do).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the offer- i *may* have sorted it, otherwise i'll post again. Yes it would fit in a Xantia estate on its side- would require a 2 man lift though!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Then the Xantia might have a bit of trouble moving.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

LS7

Mary