OT: cost of new roof

We am planning to put an offer for an end-terrace 3-bed house in Glasgow tomorrow (closed auction type sale), and are planning to base our bid on the estimate for the cost of the work required to the house which generally speaking is in a bad state of repair.
The surveyor suggested that a new roof will need to be put in place, but I am not convinced about that as they said the same thing about our correct house 5.5 years ago, and the 3 roofing companies that we invited to look at it at the time all insisted that no more than a little patching was required (it was around 1000 IIRC). I spent quite a long time in the attic, probably more time then the surveyor did with his suit on I am guessing (it was only a valuation survey) and apart from some extensive work on the guttering, most of which are lying in the garden, it looked to me as if most of the roof is sound apart from a few obvious leaks.
To put our minds at rest and make sure we don't overstretch our finances, we would like to assume the worst case scenario. Also, we are considering the conversion of the attic into another room, so the estimate will be also be useful there, as whilst the current attic space is sufficient for a room in terms of floor space and height, some of the timber will have to be "re-arranged" as it is not high enough at the moment.
Would someone be prepared to give a very rough estimate for a complete roof replacement for an end-of-terrace house? The roof tiles look sound, so probably only the internal structure of the roof will need to be replaced.
Many TIA,
J.
We had quotes (for pound notes) from 1470 to 1900 for removing tiles, replacing laths, flashing, broken tiles etc. on our 3 bed end terrace. House is in Staffs. Neil

Geez! move to Edinburgh!