OT Copying/recording video.

I have a DVD player/recorder that has a hard disk as well as DVD slot. It also has an instruction book an inch thick.

I can copy stuff from the TV onto the hard disk in the recorder.

I can transfer the stuff from the hard disk on to a DVD/optical disk with the DVD player/recorder.

This disk can be played on the DVD player or on some players (but not all) on the computer.

I can "drag" stuff from the DVD disk onto the hard disk on my computer. But then it wont play off the hard disk. It is VCL media, *.ifo suffix. On the hard disk it becomes three files the *.ifo plus two data files. I have tried to convert to a different video format but nothing seems to work. If I press t he "record" button on "Realplayer" while it is running off the DVD disk is comes up with "record disabled".

Anyone know how I can get this to run off my computer hard disk?

Reply to
harry

Heh. Just found this:-

harry

No it isn't. The IFO files contain the playlists, titles, that sort of thing - not the video, which is all in the VOB files. The BUP file is a copy of the IFO in case it gets corrupted.

Media player might play the vob files for you; failing that you're in the world of dodgy software. Some of it is excellent, some of it will wreck your computer.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

VLC media player will play almost everything (and its free)

Reply to
F Murtz

1) By getting a clue. As Andy has said the *.IFO file is not important the .VOB or .TS files are. 2) Use Handbrake to convert the files. 3) RTFM
Reply to
Steve Firth

It wouldn't play this.

But I ran the DVD through this:-

And it now works (in part). One of the DVDs is divided into "chapters" and the new problem is that is only seems to have decrypted the last chapter. I see from the wiki thing that these divisions have to be Igb or less.

The others which are undivided work OK now off the hard disk.

Reply to
harry

If the DVD is content protected (commercial ones will be, one you have made yourself in the record are unlikely to be), then a DVD ripper such as SmartRipper will extract an image to a hard drive for you.

This is also one of the cases where a commercial solution beats all the others, and that is to install Slysoft's AnyDVD. That works at a low level and simply makes all content and protection systems "vanish" - leaving any disc you inst looking like an unprotected disc. It also strips off playback restrictions like being unable to skip ads or trailers etc. It is also well supported and gets updated almost weekly as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Try "DVD43"?

Note: It runs at startup, so anyone using it may like to disable this feature.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

Thanks everyone, I'll try some of this stuff and see how I go on.

I don't understand how I was able to successfully copy the video from my player hard disk to DVD but was then prevented from making a useable copying from DVD disk to hard drive in computer.

Reply to
harry

all the utilities you need are on any linux distro - even on the 'live DVD'

Boott from ,live DVD insert your dvd and save to disk as .iso or as a file structure of VOBs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Deffo plays .VOBs

Reply to