[OT] Cooking, particularly chicken

In message , Gordon Henderson writes

Gordon, thanks for your advice, all noted.

The point of the post was that the chicken meal would indeed have been reheated twice. Normally, as advised elsewhere, we divide and freeze after initial cooking, ensuring each portion is therefore reheated once only, whatever the meat.

Reply to
News

Cooked once and reheated once. This is fine. (unless I missed something in the original post?)

Dividing and freezing is the best way too - as trying to freeze a huge amount of food takes much more time, leaving the middle to slowly cool down and stay in the danger-zone for much longer.

The safer food/better business thing is well worth a read, even if not running anything remotely commercial - it's all online, free, paid for by ... us!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I wonder how the halal chicken that's in kebab shops work, that's left warm for ours.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Should be left hot, where hot is >= 63°C. The SFBB guide doesn't say for how long though, but realistically after a couple of hours it's going to be very dry...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I really wonder how the elephants leg works at all (in any meat type).

You've got chopped up, or worse, minced meat, standing around all day (literally), with the surface being cooked, the middle warm...

They are supposed to put it in the bain-maries for a certain time afterwards, but sometimes it comes straight off the leg.

Yes I do eat them, from trusted shops with a hygiene rating >=4 - but in a foreign place I'll stick with a lamb kofte and watch them cook it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That seems to happen when they are busy.

I tend to go by the look of teh place and the staff, only had 2 so far this year I don't like the chicken ones just the standard donnar.

I tend to go hungrey rather than risk it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , Gordon Henderson writes

That really is interesting, thanks. I'm working my way through!

Reply to
News

There are two entirely different matters to consider.

1a) Is the result bacteriologically safe? The final cooking should destroy any that arrived during any previous warm period, if it is thorough throughout. 1b) Is the result chemically safe? Multiple hot periods and freeze-thaw cycles might possibly cause the production of harmful substances by chemical degradation. 2*) Is the result actually nice to eat? Flavour degradation might cause the meal to be dumped on its final cook's head.
Reply to
dr.s.lartius

To be fair to these effnic types, I've never had a bad experience with their food. All the aggro I've had from food poisoning has come from eating chicken in English pubs.

Reply to
Julian Barnes