OT: Cooker suggestions

Our 14 year old electric Creda cooker was broken by the cooker cleaning people (yes, aren't we lazy!), but they are insured and have agreed to pay for a new (equivalent features) cooker. It's just the timer that's gone, but they can't find a spare.

Something similar would be

are Creda, no? Any good?

Any other makes to look out for? Don't want gas, need double oven, halogen (or equivalent fast heating), timer for both ovens, and a fast grill. Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

I like the Electrolux that we have (Built under) for one main reason - the controls are to one side of the top oven. This means that the oven cavity is higher (taller) and the knobs don't suffer from the heat when grilling with the door open. A great design feature. Example:

john

So you can actually get people to come and clean your cooker - fascinating.. Hope my wife doesn't see this thread!!!!

So what on earth did they do to break it - seems a bit harsh claiming on their insurance given it's

14 years old!!

Re replacement - if your Creda has lasted

14 years - why would you change to something else! Sounds like a good recommendation to me...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

In message , RzB writes

It may seem a bit harsh and I understand what you are saying but at the end of the day he's got to buy a new cooker because someone else broke his. Its not unreasonable to assume that the cooker had another 6 years life in it.

The trouble is that after 14 years it could just be the name that's the same. So many appliances are built by just a few companies these days. As it happens, the replacement for our 18 year old Creda built in double oven arrives on Tuesday. Although the old oven has given good service, I wasn't necessarily assuming that Creda still make good stuff. I went on recommendations from friends who had bought in the last couple of years. In the end we bought a Neff oven.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes, it's true.

Whatever nasty chemicals they used, they got into the timer and it doesn't work any more. It was in perfect working order, and looked good as new (after they'd cleaned it!).

Indeed. Perhaps that's answered my question.

Reply to
Grumps

They were both part of GEC for many years. They were then transferred around and are now part of Merloni, together with Indesit, Ariston, and others I've forgotten. I heard they are intending to move over to using the Indesit name for most of their products, retaining the Hotpoint name in some countries where it has a good reputation for the higher-end appliances (which is similar to how GEC used the Hotpoint name with repect to Creda).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel