[ot] cooker hoods

Hi,

Thanks to the group, I think I have sorted out the hob, but I now need to choose the cooker hood. It seems there is a choice of two:

with paper filters

or

with metal ones that you wash in the dishwasher.

I quite like the idea of being able to wash them in the dishwasher: no spare filters to store or run out of or keep buying but that model is twice the price of the other one. Though to be fair, it also boasts a higher extraction rate. OTOH I am not expecting to be doing lots of frying etc, so hopefully the filters will not get that clogged.

What have people here used and what are you opinions on them? TIA

Reply to
Fred

Get the cheaper one & fit a metal filter?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

You want one that pumps to outside. These re-circulating ones are a waste of space. (They still have a filter usually metal to catch the grease.)

Reply to
harry

harry posted

I wonder whether they are any better than a plain vanilla extractor fan. They're certainly a lot more expensive - or at least the ones that my wife aspires after are.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Even if it vents outside you still want a grease filter - otherwise your pipes get cacked up & smell

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Hi. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Didn't know such a solution existed but done a quick google and it seems I might be able to get a metal filter for this. Thanks for this great idea!

Reply to
Fred

Nay probs expect there'll be a Bosch spare to do such co upgrade "proper like"...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Absolutely. The thing you really want to get rid of is steam from the hob. (Or smoke, if you fry a lot - where a filter might help)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

How fireproof does the ducting to the outside have to be? I used 110mm plastic pipe, and my brother says it's a fire risk. I have a metal filter and don't have any flames going up from the stove.

Reply to
Matty F

Australian rules require non-combustible ducting ducted to the outside air. The big risk is if you have a pan fire while the rangehood fan is running.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I see lots of wooden range hoods for sale, and wooden overhead cupboards next to the stove. I see ducting that goes into the ceiling that has grease all around. Surely those are more of a fire risk?

Reply to
Matty F

pipe, and my brother says it's a fire risk. I have a metal filter and don't have any flames going up from the stove.

We've had what looks remarkably like tumble drier hose in place for over

20 years. It's not quite as flexible as it once was, but works fine.

I doubt it ever gets to 50c.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

plastic pipe, and my brother says it's a fire risk. I have a metal filter a nd don't have any flames going up from the stove.

Tumble driers burn really well and cause many fires

Reply to
harry

plastic pipe, and my brother says it's a fire risk. I have a metal filter and don't have any flames going up from the stove.

Yes, and my cooker hood never has. Which tends to indicate a fireproof hose isn't really necessary.

Of course, if you set fire to something on your hob having a fan running just above it sucking the flames into a plastic tube might not help. On the other hand, under those circumstances the metal grease filter might act like the mesh in a Davey lamp.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

m plastic pipe, and my brother says it's a fire risk. I have a metal filter and don't have any flames going up from the stove.

And your point is?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

plastic pipe, and my brother says it's a fire risk. I have a metal filter and don't have any flames going up from the stove.

The fan blades in my cooker hood are made of plastic. If there's a fire then they will melt and the fan won't be blowing flames any more. Long before that, the smoke alarm will have made a loud noise.

Reply to
Matty F