OT: Contains less that 5% nonionic surfactant

This one's been bugging me for a while.

A lot of cleaning products contain things on the label like "contains less that 5% non-ionic surfactants".

Why not put a proper list of contents, or at least say what the active ingredients are? Just saying "less than x% or this kind of thing" seems pretty much useless.

Is it some sort of legislation?

Reply to
Caecilius

A compromise between disclosing the detailed formulation (as might be desired by environmental lobbyists pressurising government) and commercial confidentiality, so that competitors don't immediately know what the formulation is. Although the big detergent manufacturers will have substantial laboratory facilities, and I can't believe it would take them long to find out.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There is probably some get out clause for selling things to the public that they cannot be higher than a certain proportion for MSDS reasons.

They don't like doing that. Selling it prediluted with a huge mark-up is a lot more profitable for them. Windscreen wash is a prime example.

I suspect that using higher concentrations or stronger surfactants would require too much paperwork for a cleaning product and they are choosing the path of least regulatory resistance.

Another example is that you cannot normally sell products containing benzene to the public but there is a specific exemption for unleaded motor fuel which typically contains from 1-5% of benzene by volume. This caused poor Perrier a lot of bother...

Reply to
Martin Brown

In article , Chris Hogg writes

I think it might be closer to the truth to say that the makers don't want Joe public to find out that their magic formula involves just a few easily sourced chemicals that could be bought for 50p/gallon.

Reply to
fred

Can you get conc windscren wash? I assumed a lot of the volume was the antifreeze?

Reply to
Tim Watts

you only have to visit Aldi/Lidl to find that a virtually identical un-branded product can be sourced for a quarter of the price

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I think you will find that even the "concentrated" is at least 50% water. Tesco are currently selling 5 litre "dilute" and 2.5 litre "concentrated" at the same price. Balance is alcohol, not sure which. Plus non ionic surfactants of course!

Reply to
newshound

Surfactants are quite damaging to the environment.

Reply to
harryagain

Germs are quite damaging to us though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It comes to something where concentrated, when undiluted, gives protection down to -10C and ready to use screenwash will typically do the same!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Why do you suppose surfactants kill germs? Do you even know what a surfactant is?

Reply to
harryagain

Probably protecting their product from others making it up and selling it cheaper, or am I being a cynic? :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Doh! Cleaning things removes germs!