OT Computing security question

I have recently noticed (it might have been that way for some time but I hadn't noticed) that when I am logged into gmail using firefox, the address bar contains a grey triangle containing an "!" before the "https". When logged into outlook.com there is a green padlock.

When using chrome to access gmail there is a green padlock, and in IE a grey padlock that changes to orange as I hover over it.

I find it difficult to believe that gmail is not a proper secure site so is there something wrong with my firefox or machine?

Reply to
CB

Perhaps your ISP is being a "man in the middle" to filter your web browsing and screen out pron?

This is done with "fake" certificates which pretend to be for the secured site but aren't.

Usually signed by the ISP so the certificate is valid but the "chain of trust" doesn't go up through Google's master certificate.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Google don't seem to bother.

Reply to
Adrian

What does it show if you click on the grey exclamation mark?

Certificates are money for old rope, EV certificates are silver plated old rope ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

"This website does not supply identity information. The connection to this website is not fully secure because it contains unencrypted elements (such as images) or the encryption is not strong enough."

Thanks - looks like it should be ok then

Reply to
CB

"This website does not supply identity information."

Something wrong with the certificate chain?

"or the encryption is not strong enough."

Be useful if they told you which problem you have. Weak encryption can be a sign of un-patched and/or outdated software.

Can't find the article at the moment, but web sites which don't support negotiation regarding newer versions of SSL/TLS can end up falling back to old weak encryption.

Google turns up a mention of POODLE as well.

AFAIK browsers have only recently started bitching if they have to fall back to weak (as in the old export grade) encryption instead of just telling you the link in encrypted.

I just checked and I am using Firefox 36.0.4 and connected to Gmail I don't see any question mark. Chrome shows a green bar. NO green for Firefox.

My ISP is Virgin Media - which ISP are you using? The problem doesn't seem to be at Gmail itself so there could be something between you and Gmail which is tinkering at the SSL/TLS level.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

That's just to say it's not one of the EV certificates, it's secure but it doesn't make any claims that the certificate tells you who you're connected to.

OK, so the webpage has a mixture of secure and insecure items on it, if it was your bank you should probably be concerned, for webmail ... not so much.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm also using Firefox 36.0.4 connected via Demon (now taken over by Vodafone but still branded Demon). Its an Exclamation mark "!" in a grey triangle at the very left hand edge of the address bar not a question mark.

Reply to
CB

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

indeed. Might be related to this: