OT Computer WiFi Question

G.Fast is very different kit but strikes me as yet another an urban only solution. What is needed is some means of delivering at least Superfast access to over 10 km from the exchange. Copper can't do it, all the current technolgies drop below 24 Mbps at less than 2 km from the source.

What can do it is fibre to the premises, but digging trenches to install it is expensive, even in urban areas. As shown by they amount effort that goes into trying to make copper work for the last few hundred metres. In rural areas you could be digging several hundred meters of trench for one customer, that just ain't going to happen. This is "new install" I don't think they are allowed to use poles for new installs these days. Existing network on poles can be maintained, including replacing rotten poles. Would replacing Dropwire No.10 with one also containing four fibres along with two copper pairs be classd as "new install" or "Maintenance"? Still need to get the fibre to the DP though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Particularly in out case where the "several hundred" is 1.1km. And that's just to the cabinet in the road. We're ~7km from the exchange.

Reply to
Huge

Can't comment, we just have the 100D/6H here and its well, nothing I'm grumbling about!...

Don't tell I, tell thee;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah!, probably the main reason then:!...

Well sometimes involving on obstructed path and fresnel zone clear its quite predictable, but when its obstructed then not quite so easy. There are some units that do very well in "difficult" locations but the price goes up very steeply indeed....

Reply to
tony sayer

The answer might well be in localised radio distribution seems to work well in other counties and its on the go in some parts of the UK...

One here thats been around quite some time now...

tony sayer

happen.

But has that cab been fibre'd? If the bit of copper 1.1 km long is of the higher poundage and all the joints in good condition you'd probably get a few Mbps above the 24 Mbps lower limit of "Superfast".

Openreach are having fun with low light levels on three of the newly fibre'd cabinets here. Two of which are only a couple of km from the local exchnage. However they have also installed 40 km of new fibre all the way from Hexham to the local exchange.

What I'd like to know is where the exchange end laser transmiter/receivers are. In the local exchnage with the cabinets agregated onto new fibre back to Hexham, which makes them having light level problems a bit odd. Or 40+ km away in Hexham, with each cabinet having its own fibre pathway all the way there, in which case light level problems are much less of a surprise.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

BTFOOM.

BT reckon that we're not scheduled to get FTTC any time soon.

That would be truly joyful, and I suspect the copper's fine (it's all new), but I doubt there's fibre in the cab.

Reply to
Huge

exchange.

Wot?

What does your County Council/BT/BDUK site say? Of the 8 cabinets off our exchnage all but one are being fibred. That one is not being done because most of the people served from it are over a km away and thus unlikely to get Superfast speeds. The BDUK funding is principally to provide Superfast, though if they can't do that they should at least provide the "universal access" of 2 Mbps minimum.

On 8 km of line they'll have fun. FTTrN is a possibilty.

At least one shiny new cab will spring up to hold the Fibre to VDSL kit this requires power and has ventilation louvers. Sometimes a new jumpering cabinet is also required depending on the state of the existing network.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Beats The Fuck Out Of Me.

We're keen to bring Superfast Fibre to your area and are exploring how best to achieve that. We may deliver it as part of our commercial programme, or by working in partnership with your local authority. At the moment you can't order Superfast Fibre.

Reply to
Huge

That's at least more honest than all the adverts. we used to get from BT offering us Infinity, years before fibre was anywhere near us. Even before it was listed as having a possible, theoretical, inaccurate date. And when it finally arrived, BT didn't tell anybody, we only found out it was active by checking the bt-adsl-checker website.

Reply to
Davey

That reads as direct from BT direct rather than from the County Council led, BDUK funded, organisation like "Connecting Cumbria" or "Connected Counties" (Bucks & Herts) or "Superfast Northamptonshire".

Of course that organisation might just parrot BT...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Further investigation reveals there is a programme called "Accelerating Bedford". I shall look into this.

Reply to
Huge

I love the way these names all sound as though the relevant area is going to be part of a huge Superfast network, whereas often it's a case of getting the infrastructure into the 20th, let alone the 21st, century.

Reply to
Davey

Look up sky fibre Ultra in York. I don't know if they will ever bring it elsewhere.

Reply to
dennis

We weren't talking about the Labour party, were we?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hey, I'm in the middle of FASTERSHIRE!

Apparently, we should be blessed with AT LEAST 2Mbit by the end of the year. Delays notwithstanding.

There's various letters painted onto the tarmac near the exchange (a small brick outhouse in a field), so something might be happening. Sheep rustling, probably.

Reply to
Adrian