OT Computer WiFi Question

By coincidence the Note 3 I have here does the opposite, reports connecting @433Mbps to the router @5Ghz, but 150Mbps @2.4Ghz. (Not the router, laptop manages 300mbps @2.4Ghz)

That said, it's a phone. There's very few times it will make any practical difference. Downloading a film from the NAS is the only time I even noticed and that was only because I was looking for it :)

Reply to
Lee

Take no notice of what it reports - how does it *test*?

On 5GHz, speedtest.net shows real throughput is much lower than on 2.4GHz

Which I find a bit weird as my laptop does the opposite...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Using the speedtest app, it reports 104.7 @5Ghz and 66 @2.4Ghz, make of that what you will...

Indeed :)

Reply to
Lee

I had 2Mb at my old house. On the edge of Bracknell.

I've now moved to the countryside -just been watching the sunset from the garden ;) - and expected lousy broadband. Much to my surprise I get

5-ish even though we're a couple of miles from the exchange.

FTTC is coming. End of the year they say - but they did say that last year...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Can a run of the mill ordinary PC keep up with real Gigabit speeds anyway? The whole PC becomes the bottleneck. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends how you measure it. Phase 1 of the County Councils/BDUK/BT work will have 93% of "homes and business's" within reach of "Superfast" that is > 24 Mbps download (>15 Mbps peak time), broadband by the end of the year. Phase 2, when its sorted out ought to add another 2% to that. The remaining 5% are left with the "universal access" level of at least 2 Mbps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

True! We recently upgraded to 'superfast' broadband, and it is certainly much faster. Quoted speed is 76Mbps, but child reckons around

100 when plugged directly into modem.

The reality is, I don't notice much difference. Web pages don't seem to load any faster. The only differences I notice are YouTube videos no longer hang, and large files download much faster, but for general day to day browsing, little difference.

Having said that, my little Netbook is an antique compared to many, running XP over wifi, and there are three of us sharing the connection.

Reply to
News

We can get VM's 150* Meg here now but the 100 is fine..

Makes me feel a bit awkward telling that to those poor deprived sods out in digital no go land that;!..

Sorry;(...

  • Not that far from here I believe there're testing 300 Meg or higher...
Reply to
tony sayer

I think they do that now on the all you can use tariff well quite a bit but I might be wrong on that..

Wireless can and does work very well provided that its set up right and engineered well. I put in a 5 Ghz link the other day for someone out in the sticks over 5 miles it was as good as the fibre BB connection feeding it:)

However ... TREES ... can really clobber these links there're Very susceptible to that sort of attenuation ....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , News scribeth thus

He's right, seen that here, the CAT 5 cabling take's the absolute edge off it a bit..

Yep seen that since we went from 30 to 100 tho if you do have more then the one user on line it does help there..

Reply to
tony sayer

We get used to it, evn with the damn fibre 10' away.

G.Fast? Carriers to over 106 MHz.

Trials have provided down stream speeds of around 800 Mbps over a line length of an amzing 19 (nineteen) metres. Or 700 Mbps over 66 (sixty six) metres.

OK if they run fibre to "our" pole (it only serves us) but if they are going to do that it would be cheaper and better to run the fibre direct to us as it wouldn't involve trenching across the road. The current lines get to the pole through direct buried armoured cable not through a duct that could be utilised for a fibre duct.

Around here most lines from what could be called a DP are significantly longer than 66 m, ours is about that.

The other possible snag is the G.Fast doesn't play nicely with VDSL, so it's one or the other...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That will be cable then. The actual data channel is much faster than the speed you are allowed. The speed cap only cuts in after a bit once the head end kit works out you are downloading data. In the days when web pages were compact it made browsing feel faster than the speed you had purchased should have. These days the web pages are so big the head end kit throttles you back well before the page has loaded.

Reply to
dennis

Just an ordinary BT line, but the DSLAM cabinet is against our garden wall. The copper (I assume) runs from there to a telegraph pole just outside the house, and from there straight into our master socket, which is where the modem is plugged in.

Reply to
News

It's nice to know that my basic 30Mbps down / 2Mbps up Virgin Media service exceeds "Superfast", and by a wide margin. I just checked using SpeedTest and got 33.95Mbps down and 2.00Mbps up which accurately reflects the Superhub's reported connection speeds of 35,000,000 bps down and 2058000 bps up.

The down speed used to be reported as 30000000bps (or perhaps it was

33000000bps?) about a year ago and I'm still awaiting the free d/l speed upgrade to 50000000bps (but same old 2Mbps up) promised just about a year back as being in the pipeline sometime over the next 12 to 18 months... Any day RSN!

In the meantime, any new VM customers if past experience is anything to go by, will get to enjoy the benefit of the long promised upgrade straight away. So much for 'customer loyalty' :-(

BTW, is it just me or does everyone experience that "Cliff Hanger" feeling whilst watching the upload speedtest progress bar?

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Was that using professional kit designed for creating point to point links or, the equally effective, homebrew Chinese Wok with USB Wi-Fi dongles mounted at the prime focus type of set up?

That's always been a major issue with point to point microwave links, you need a clear line of sight between stations. The short wavelengths facilitate very high gain antenna setups (20 to 30 dBi) but only when an unobstructed path is available.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

So they, or their parents, need to reimburse you for the extra cost. Otherwise they will never learn that everything has a value.

Reply to
Davey

Yep. 18 months ago, we were scheduled for fibre in Sep. 2014. In January this year, it changed from then to Sep. this year. We actually got it last month. Personally, I have no need for it, but I'm glad it's available.

Reply to
Davey

That is exactly the experience of my neighbour. The speedtests on her new fibre connection show full anticipated throughput, but she sees no improvement when browsing. The boost is almost certainly in her kids' streaming and downloading.

Reply to
Davey

They sometimes need reminding;!. Call the retention's dept and that usually gets results.

Still I know people who'd neigh on kill to be on their network, those out in the wild sticks near towns, that Fibre's a long time coming;!...

Not here we don't;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Nope. Just a brace of these on 5.8 Ghz!...

Well not quite, using modern equipment with OFDM modulation systems it can sometimes perform and do things you wouldn't expect;)...

Reply to
tony sayer