OT; Computer router thingy

In article , Neil scribeth thus

That surfboard ought be changed to cope with the increased speeds if your getting them in your area. We've just had ours replaced to cope with the 10 and 30 meg services:)

One thing VM does do well is BB...

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

Indeed, and that's how I'm doing it, using Vodafone 3G card stuck in the back of one machine which is the gateway for my network. Freeproxy is a good (and free) piece of software, but it's a small pita to set up. Once set up it's quite stable though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Generally I would agree - most of the blueyonder/virgin router setups I have done did not have any problem. However I did have one that did have this problem on a setup I did last September, so there are still isolated cases (probably of a misconfiguration by the ISP).

Yup, and use WPA not WEP

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a Netgear 834 router you can have for whatever the going rate for one of these things is. It's not wireless, but you don't really need that. I may even be able to find a spare ethernet cable lying around somewhere so you don't need any other bits. I accidentally ordered a non-wireless one you see (834UK rather than 834G)...

Reply to
Doki

Should've learnt from my mistakes and read your post properly. The routers no good to you as it's an ADSL router...

Reply to
Doki

Whilst I've been out earning a crust SWMBO has found this

from PC World (told you she was impatient).

Is this what I want? Bearing in mind it will be my fault if it doesn't work :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IIRC you're not using ADSL, so you don't want an ADSL router.

Go to PC world, networking, choose Cable connections - that's the sort of thing you need.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

See

Do you have desktops or laptops?

A USB wireless adapter (as included in the bundle you mentioned) is not very convenient for laptops as it sticks out. I use an Edimax PCMCIA adaptor in my laptop. USB sticks are often fine for desktops.

See

Noticing quite a few positive comments here about HomePlug, how about this?

It includes HomePlug, Wireless and a three port wired switch. Of course, the connected PCs would need wires, HomePlug adaptors or wireless connectivy.

(My experience of Edimax stuff is that it is inexpensive but works fine. Scan are efficient and handled the few problems I have had quite well.)

Reply to
Rod

No, that's adsl, you need a cable router like this:

Which is wired, and will plug into the network ports on your pcs directly.

For one with wireless as well this one:

Which is what I use both as a wired router for the fixed computers/printers and wirelessly to my laptop and PDA, and any visiting laptops. I have (unlike some of my neighbours) enabled encryption so only authorised users can use it. I am quite happy with it.

Depending on the computers you have you will need either ethernet or wireless netwrk cards (or dongles) and/or cables. Modern (last couple of years) computers will isually have built in networking, and the one ypou are currently using will have one unless you are using teh (unsupported) USB connector. Laptops generally have wireless built in and a netwrk connection.

Reply to
<me9

the one I have is the Netgear WPN824. It is just a router, no modem. Since Virgin provide the modem to plug on to their cable you won't need to replace that bit. Can't do a url thingie, but if you go to PC World site and search for WPN824 it comes up at £69.99 if ordered over web, £89.99 instore. Just do the order bit then choose "collect in store" and write down the reference code. In the store (at least one hour later) go to the CollectInstore desk just at right of entrance of proffer code and name. The guy should go into the side room and bring out your box. nice-and-easy.

If you go this way, give me a call and pick me up as you go by and I'll come over and set it up for you. Be advised that the PC World prices for cables are sometimes "rather higher than they might be".

It has four ports for the wired computers, and you can switch on the wireless stuff for transient laptops - but should be encrypted.

hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

No offence but you want to set up someone's network yet you can't cut and paste a URL?

Incidentally £69.99 from PC World or £46.99 from DigiDave

find it even cheaper if you searched about.

To the OP, this has worked flawlessly for my in-laws

even allows the kids to play the Wii, PS3 and iPod Touch on-line whenever they visit without any trailing wires.

NG

Reply to
No Go

I couldn't be bovvered to go to the effort of finding and pasting a short one - the PCW search page that came up was a bit long. Sounds like Dave needs a bit of help, and as someone who lives nearby I thought I might be able to. He's at liberty to ignore me completely... Over the years I've met many people who are experts in one niche, yet are completely unfamiliar with another adjacent niche. I admit I'm not that familiar with some stuff, but have set up a couple of routers on VM (a doddle admittedly) and have two sons who are much more able (and relatively available to call on for advice). Depends on Dave rally, he might be happy to go on his own, and find how easy it is, or might just want to sit back and let an electronic handyman do the job ;) Only little hiccup - using Firefox on the WPN824 refused to allow more than

24 characters to be entered into the encryption key field. Had to use IE. Apparently not an uncommon feature. cheers, Neil
Reply to
Neil

Another detail to check with the client, with a view to the perfect customer experience, is printing. IIRC:

a. any router is OK if you are happy to have printer connected to one PC: either PC can then print to it (if you share it in Windows*) but the PC to which it is connected will need to be turned on (or you will need to unplug from that PC and plug into t'other)

b. a router with a print server allows anyone on the network to print without having to turn on other PCs but limits the choice/adds to the cost; and

c. neither of the above applies if you have a printer which is network enabled which you can just connect to the router.

Sorry if this is unnecessary complification - as it may very well be: in my *limited* experience most people don't even think about going beyond (a) . But I'm so impressed by the knowledge and attention to detail here on tools, materials etc etc that I thought I'd - err - risk being shot down in flames.

Reply to
neverwas

That item is marked 'unavailable for store collection' & SWMBO is far too impatient to wait :-)

How about Belkin B5DUK045 G+ MIMO Router & USB Adapter Bundle Product code: 357897

Would that be suitable?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks to all for the Scan, Digi Dave & Dabs links, but SWMBO wants one NOW! We will have to go to PC World in the morning :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A very kind offer Neil. Thank you.

Looks like we are off to PC World first thing :-(

I'll give you a call if I can't sort it!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It has these

and

Pretty sure its plugged into a USB connector

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

PC world IMHO is for distress purchases...

However if you have VM then you just need a router, the Linksys range is quite good.

If you have ADSL delivered from anyone down a phone line then you need an ADSL modem/router.

In the VM setup the line up is from your VM modem to your router via a CAT 5 lead and PCW know how to charge silly loot for them;!.

Then cables form your router or via wireless, don't forget to password it keeps out some people;!.

In the ADSL instance you have an incoming phone line to the modem router via an ADSL filter, then lines from that via CAT 5 to each machine or via wireless. Most all simply require your username and password.

If you want a really good unit at around 100 sheets the draytek range are superb:)

this lot are very good for networking stuff:)

you've got a laptop then download netstumbler, its rather amusing to see what wireless traffic there is in your neighbourhood:)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Last time I thought about buying a router from PC World, every single one was "graded" stock (or just returned bad goods) being sold as brand new, unopened. So disgusted we went to Staples (yeeurgh - it was an emergency purchase) and got a Belkin. Never liked it. Had some very odd habits but it did work OK for a year or so.

You could get yourself some real points (for stylish purchase) from SWMBO by getting yourself to Bluewater John Lewis to buy one of these:

(Or another branch, or the Apple store at Brent Cross, or...)

They work with VM. They work. You can attach a USB printer and/or external USB disc drives to give you network printing and storage. (Needs a USB hub to attach more than one device at the same time.) I found it incredibly simple to install following the excellent instructions. They are somewhat expensive.

Reply to
Rod

Remember *not* to buy an ADSL router. That is an ADSL router.. no good for cable.

Reply to
dennis