OT; Computer router thingy

Now bear in mind please that I am a computer numpty.....

SWMBO has purchased another PC which is situated about 6' from this one. We have Telewest/Virgin Broadband - with a Surfboard SB4100 cable modem.

SWMBO wants internet access on 'her' PC as well. Since the PC's are only 6' apart can I just get some kind of cable & 2 way adaptor? Or do I need a router (I know my Makita router won't do the job).

Any help (preferably in words of one syllable) appreciated. Bear in mind that SWMBO has considerably less patience that the average female.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Router and two cables is the easiest. Make sure you don't buy an ADSL router by mistake. You will probably buy a wireless one as they are easier to find and work with wires as well.

Reply to
dennis

See

it connect to "your" pc via ethernet? If so pull the ethernet lead out the back of your Pc and take it into an ethernet switch like
take an ethernet lead to each pc from there

Reply to
SJP

A router, as suggested, is an easy way. Wireless gives you the option of moving the computers at a later date, or using, for example, a laptop. You should be able to pick up a modem/router for about =A340 in the high street.

The absolutely cheapest option is to link the two machines via an Ethernet crossover cable. However, if your present modem connects via your Ethernet port (and it's likely that your machine only has one), you'd need to fit another Ethernet card, which is going to reduce the cost saving compared to a router.. If, however, your modem uses a USB connection, it's just a matter of getting the cable and running the network wizard on both machines. The drawback is that the machine connected to the modem must be running for the second machine to connect.

Reply to
kevallsop

You need a router.

First question: does your cable modem have an Ethernet connection (technically an RJ45) - like a slightly larger version of a US-style telephone connector (which is an RJ11).

2ndly does your pooter have a similar connector? 3rdly (if we've goy Yeses so far) is your puter connected to the cable modem by these connectors or by USB (I'll take it you know what USB connectors look like if you've got other USB devices).

If you're already connected by ethernet, and SWMBO's machine also has ethernet, then you just need to buy a router and some more cables. You may need to find the Ethernet (aka MAC) address of your PC and tell the router to fake it on its WAN connection in order to keep VM/TW happy.

If the computers and the modem all have Ethernet but you're currently connected to the modem by USB then you need a router and to connect up by Ethernet instead of USB. You may need to reconfigure your PC to use its Ethernet instead of USB to talk to the modem. With a bit of luck the modem will figure it out for itself.

Rather than fill out the 1001 alternatives of what if you don't have all the above let us know and we'll go from there.

Reply to
John Stumbles

then take an ethernet lead to each pc from there

That will not work on virgin! Virgin only supply one IP address so only one computer will work.

Reply to
dennis

You would need proxy software on the connected PC to make it act as a NAT gateway...

Reply to
John Rumm

Has it got a ethernet port on it?

If the modem has ethernet then an ethernet/ethernet router will do what you want:

leave the modem talking to the cable, and then add the router between the modem and your network.

Sometimes the cable modems lock themselves to the MAC address of the network card in the PC they were initially connected to. To get round this it is handy if the router can clone the MAX address of the PCs network card onto its WAN ethernet port - the older PheeNet one solwise used to have did this ok, not sure about the EnGenius one. (some cable modems will also allow you to manually add mac addresses via their web interface).

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed! You're far better off with a router rather than using a PC - then the PCs are completely independent of each other so that each can access the internet without needing the other to be powered up.

Dave is right that his Makita router won't do the job! . Interestingly, we distinguish between router and router on this side of the pond by pronouncing the networking one "rooter" and the woodworking tool "rowter" - but the yanks insist on using "rowter" for the networking one. [Presumably they plan their car journeys using Autorowt. ]

Reply to
Roger Mills

No need for us on VM. Changed router the other week and did nothing. (Had done so on previous router on a 'just in case' basis but it proved not to be needed.)

Absolutely - use ethernet and not USB. (You will have to to enjoy the

20Mbps speed when it comes.)
Reply to
Rod

Assuming a recent windows OS you could just turn on internet connection sharing.

It also slows down the internet sharing PC in general and internet operation on the whole kit and kaboodle.

As a temporary fix in an emergency (for the price of a crossover cable) it's tolerable, (say if a kid comes back from Uni for the weekend and simply *has* to get an internet connection on his / her own laptop.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Dave - The SB4100 modem you have does have one of these ethernet thingies. But if you have been using a USB lead to connect your PC to it then you will just need to buy 2 ethernet leads to connect to the router rather than one new one.

You don't need to worry about this. You would have done a few years ago but Blueyonder (and now Virginmedia) stopped requiring you to register MAC addresses. Turn everything off when you get the router, connect it all up and you should be OK.

If you do get a wireless router then make sure you change the password(s) on it.

You can get help from other VIM users in virginmedia.users.self-help.networking.

Reply to
neverwas

Reply to
Andy Hall

No she hate smoke.

Reply to
dennis

Agreed, particularly for a self confessed numpty. Cables just plug in and work. Wireless can be a nightmare of configuration and security settings.

*Some* work with wires as well, some are just a WAN connection and wireless only.

Netgear has (had? I can't find it on the uk site) and handy little consumer ethernet based router/firewall/switch. All I can find now are "businness" devices which are bit OTT for this application.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Leaning in that direction yes. Do you have a theory?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought as much. I believe the term is 'mercurial' and understand that they are all like it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm a computer numpty, and I managed to set up our wireless router and its security settings. (I swore a lot, though!)

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'd lay money she's got a birthday coming up soon(ish) too?

Reply to
Lino expert

I'll see you on Tuesday morning (booked for a manhole cover replacement) and we have VirginMedia, with their modem, plus our Netgear router. The router is wireless plus 4 wired ports, and feeds two cabled PCs and at a variable number of wireless laptops. Son has a second 24-port switch upstairs cabled in, feeding other stuff. Feel free to have a look/chat on Tuesday.

perhaps I could set up a system for you for a discount ? ;)

Neil (19 Meadside)

Reply to
Neil