OT Computer External Drive

I took my external hard drive to my daughter's house to 'lift' a video and some music of her note book PC which has Windows 7.

I assumed that I would be able to just plug into the USB port - but the note book would identify the external drive - but wouldn't open it or even acknowledge anything was on it.

Any ideas what was the issue - would I need to install the drivers onto the notebook?

Reply to
John

What file system is on the external HD? Windows will only recognise DOS rooted filing systems and NTFS.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Does it need an external power supply? If normally powered from USB, the notepad may not have enough poke for it to spin up and be recognised.

Sometimes you can get a dual USB cable that takes the power from two ports.

Reply to
OG

With W7 you just plug the usb in and after "installing device", it works.

Is your drive one of those ones that takes its power from the usb port?

A notebook may not have enough power spare to at the port to spin an external drive.

Reply to
Ericp

Its easy to take a linux live CD with you in case its a software issue. That'll run the pc in linux for file transfer without making any changes to windows.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

You need to set permissions for the drive, have a quick Google on 'take possession' of a drive/folder etc.

IOW's the file protection system is working and you need to take ownership of the drive contents.

Reply to
Nitro®

It is NTFS and has a proper power supply.

Reply to
John

Looks feasible. Thanks

Reply to
John

And you do that by looking it right in the eye and not letting it near the fridge

NT :)

Reply to
Tabby

LOL :)

Reply to
Dr Hfuhruhurr

In message , Nitro® writes

I't migth be the issue, but I've never had to do that with an external drive and I regularly swop mine between computers

Reply to
chris French

Also consider whether USB cable might be damaged or trying another USB port on the notepad.

I've got a similar external USB drive - on one machine, the position of the port means that the cable is mostly straight going in and it is recognised straight away; on the other machine, because I rest the drive on top of the case, the cable about 5cm from the end has to be straightened by hand before the PC will recognise it.

Reply to
OG

Yup, I am doubtful also. If you could see folders etc but not open them, then yes possibly, but if you just get a blank directory its unlikely to be permission related.

out of curiosity what do you get with a DIR on it from a command prompt?

Reply to
John Rumm

It may just need a drive letter assigning in disk manager...

Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management Then do you see the drive listed here without a drive letter? If so, you can assign it a drive letter here, and bob is your father's brother.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby