OT Computer Chair

Any recommendations andor unrecommendations for a chair to sit and work at my computer desk? [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I recommend using the boss

Staples have some good buys. We have 2 of these

The Medway Handyman

PC World do a range of chairs and other office furniture at very good prices. I've had two of their 'Riga' chairs for about two years and they're still going strong. Maybe not suitable for professionals glued to their seats all day long but very adequate for home use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A chair is an inanimate object made of wood, metal, leather and/or plastic. How can it sit and work at your computer desk, and take the place of you??

Reply to
Adrian C

Recently had a caster on one of their computer chairs fail. Failed to find suitable replacement on-line so asked the next time we were in the shop. They gave us a manufacturer's name. Contacted them and very quickly received a set of four, without charge.

Considering their low price and age (several years), very pleased. But they are fairly basic with limited long term comfort. That is, glad I don't have to sit on it all day.

Reply to
Rod

Herman Miller Aeron

£895 from John Lewis

If you can afford it, you'll never regret it.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Not a Member of Parliament by any chance claiming for this on the old John Lewis list and booking it to expenses?

LOL

Cash

Reply to
Cash

A couple of weeks ago, bought one of these from Staples:

gutted that I paid £15 more in store - unless they've just lowered the price? It replaced one of these:
which had supported my bum for 5.5 years. I did get off of it occasionally! ;-) Seriously, though, the old chair was very good, but finally went over xmas, following a period of really annoying squeakiness. Eventually, it seemed like some welding went under the seat.

Reply to
John Whitworth

=A350 from any dot-com bankruptcy sale, circa 2000. We all blagged them, If you have a flat arse, you might even find them comfortable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John Whitworth" saying something like:

Seems a common failure point in many makes. I have one of these, which gave Sterling service for years

a welded small bracket broke. Cost me a tenner from a boot sale because the gas cartridge had gone, but I simply replaced that with a screwed rod set to my favoured position.

At the moment I'm using a cheapy boggo standard chair, but the old one is definitely worth fixing next time I drag out the MIG.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

until a welded small bracket broke. Cost me a tenner from a boot sale

ASDA were selling some at £25 last week.

Reply to
John

Best I've used came from (sorry) Ikea - same price (~£150 in 2001) as JL's but much stronger. Have to be wary of the castors, as there seems to be some strange Scandinavian rule that they lock up when laden (or unladen - haven't used the chair for 7 years, so can't remember).

Reply to
PeterC

As I work from home and spend more than 8 hours a day at my desk I bought a Therapod chair after doing a lot of searching. The model I have is the Therapod Contract (plastic rather than chrome finished base of their standard model) but still has the excellent back with its 4 internal adjustable tension straps. Although it cost around ukp350 it definitely comes under the category of 'should have done this years ago'. From memory they are available with casters for either soft or hard flooring.

Reply to
rbel

A few years ago we were fitting out a BBC radio studio and the chairs there were very, very, nice:)

Asked about the price I was told around a thousand!!! It seemed that they justified it by the number of hours someone's backside would be placed in it for a studio shift .. which could be 8 hours or more....

Reply to
tony sayer

That's the usual remedy for those with posture problems at my workplace. And they are very popular with those who have them.

Reply to
John Whitworth

The internet prices exclude VAT IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

My IKEA one of similar vintage is very comfortable, though it looks as if I need to get my sewing kit out and produce a new seat cover. Seems to lock up unladen, and I can't think of anywhere, apart from a ship, where this would be helpful.

I did try the even more expensive one with a spring loaded floating mechanism, but it had to go back. My upper body wasn't heavy enough for it, despite slacking the spring right off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

My PPoE had Aerons. They're utter crap. I have no idea why they're so popular. I had to go and find an old office chair to use instead.

Reply to
Huge

That's it, unladen - my last GF couldn't get on with it as she wasn't strong enough to both ease up and move (MS), so we had to change the castors.

Reply to
PeterC