OT: Compact cameras

Very OT but does anyone know of any compact digital cameras that also have a viewfinder in addition to the rear screen?

My wife has a need for something small enough to go in her pocket/handbag and finds that bright sunny conditions render her screen useless when trying to compose a photo.

Any pointers welcome as I can't find anything.

TIA

David

Reply to
David P

Canon Powershot is excellent

Reply to
Jim S

In article ,

but nearly all these days have no real view finder...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Think out old Coolpix (nikon) has one...dunno if the latest do.

Hmm. No is the short answer. You have to go up to around 250 quid plus to get a viewfinder.

Indeed

The Natural Philosopher

Canon A1200

12 Mpx Currently £49.98 at Currys

A very nice little camera.

Reply to
OG

In message , David P writes

Bit old hat now but my Olympus 410 has both.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1 for Canon. Had to go for an import model to get a new optical viewfinder model for wife a year or so back, but sense has prevailed. The issue is that people who buy based on the numbers want a big zoom ratio which would need an extending viewfinder as well as extending lens.

For most purposes 4x zoom and about 6 MPix is enough, at least with the small sensor in a compact.

Reply to
newshound

site gives details of most/all the cameras currently on the market.

If there are compacts out there with viewfinders, they should be on there.

Soewhere.

Its then simply a case of working your way through them and checking for UK sellers, if any, on the web.

None of the major manufacturers Nikon/Canon/Fuji/Lumix produce absolute dogs and most offer a similar feature set and capabilities And while many have their adherents, in reality in terms of picture quality the differences between them are probably minimal.

michael adams

michael adams

See:

which shows at least three compact cameras with viewfinders.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Use the camera feature search (drop down from Cameras in menu bar), select camera type, then advanced feature search=>viewfinder type and then select ?optical (tunnel)? and it?ll give you a list of cameras with such veiwfinders.

You might find it worthwhile waiting until after Photokina (big photography trade show) in September as there are likely to be some interesting new compact cameras out (and you?ll either want one of them or be glad of the price drop in the older models)

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

My Canon SD1000, which may be out of production now, has been excellent. Screen and viewfinder, optical zoom (and digital if you want it), digital macro, etc etc. Literally the only problem has been an occasional blanking of the screen, fixed by resetting the camera. Maybe four times in as many years. I have used this camera to digitise over 500 slides for a club.

Reply to
Davey

Plus the G12. Shutter lag is not noticeable, unlike the G3 I had years ago.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Gosh, I kicked off a bigger thread than I expected - thanks for all the responses including the one about the fair in September. The A1200/A1300 does seem like a good option for her as the need for accurate composition is not required - its just a grab a shot camera but its frustrating when she can't even see what she's trying to grab. Even a limited tunnel view will help.

David

Reply to
David P

I had the exact same requirements and have just bought a Canon Powershot A1200 from Jessops for £49.95. I bought the kit for £59.95 which included an SD card and a soft carrying case. Even in the case it pretty well goes in a pocket.

Tinkerer

Reply to
Tinkerer

Reply to
Tim Streater

The one thing I would miss is the image stabilisation, which I reckon is worth two stops.

Reply to
newshound

Would one of these, attached to whichever camera of choice, be an alternative solution?

Bernie Hunt

A1200/A1300 are now on the list - the downside to them both is the use of AA batteries which past experience shows get 'eaten' so I end up carrying loads of (rechargeable) ones around with me/take the charger on holiday and recharge nightly - not always with a convenient socket outlet.

'course, I could pass that responsibility on to the user of the camera.......

David

Reply to
David P

Time to invest in some Eneloop?

Reply to
stuart noble

Once in a while I find myself in places where the nearest mains electricity is three days away by boat so, regardless of their efficiency, I tend to prefer AA cells on the basis that you can still buy them pretty well everywhere. Camera, Sound recording equipment, shaver[1], short-wave radio etc were all chosen on the basis of AA cells. I tend to use rechargeables at home but disposables when I'm abroad. Non-ecological I know, but if I buy and dispose of AA cells as I go along, I don't need a charger or extra live/dead rechargeables to fill up my pack and weigh me down.

Nick [1]Yes, I know. I ought to use a wet razor with no batteries, but I don't.

Reply to
Nick Odell