OT - Coming to a petrol pump near you - E10

Although not particularly new I had heard nothing about this E10 petrol until this weekend. There is a reasonably up to date (Feb 2014) article here

Looks like yet another increase in motoring (and food) costs brought about by the green brigade.

I haven't noticed any debate on here so some people may find this as new as I did.

Reply to
news

motorists/1229022

Except that the article doesn't actually give any of the information the subhead threatens, and actually points out that it hasn't been a problem in any of the other countries which have introduced E10 so far - cheaper at the pump, too.

Interesting that the article conducting "tests" compared against E0, which isn't available. I wonder why they didn't do it against pump E5...?

Reply to
Adrian

Why? It doesn't affect diesel.

Don't bother me; my cars run either on diesel or super unleaded, neither of which are affected.

Reply to
Huge

While this may or may not be true, its all based on the usual false premise: that "green" stuff is inherently good.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm sorry I thought "and although no company has yet made the move, it?s only a matter of time." is entirely consistent with the subhead.

and actually points out that it hasn't been a problem

**Maybe** cheaper at the pump (per litre) but if it has a reduced mpg that does not mean cheaper motoring, and with the land that is currently being used for food diverted to produce biofuel food prices could be set to increase.

Looks like others have been alerted to it long before me

news

Which bit of the subhead?

Because the subhead I'm read "What Car? tests E10 'green' fuel against unleaded petrol Results show emissions go up and economy drops UK motorists face higher fuel bills"

How is "and although no company has yet made the move, it?s

IF. Which they don't demonstrate, because they don't test against fuel that's currently available.

Nor does it mean "higher fuel bills".

So a claim that they didn't make "could be" true. That's nice, dear.

Reply to
Adrian

My apologies my misunderstanding by subhead I thought you meant my thread heading "Coming to a pump near you"

I'm not saying they made that claim. It just seems to me that it would not be an unforeseeable outcome. Having been alerted to E10 this weekend and having since done a bit more web research it seems that I'm not the only one who thinks this. Others with a lot more clout than me have been raising this issue for sometime it seems.

It was just news to me, but happen I'm just slow on the uptake.

Reply to
news

Yes, just one of oh-so-many hobby-horses that the loony fringes on BOTH sides of the debate have...

E10's been widespread across France for about five years, and it's more of a surprise that it's not reached the UK yet.

Reply to
Adrian

Quite a bit of speculation in the classic car press that the ethanol can attack some of the fuel system in older (and some not so old) cars.

I must admit being a bit sceptical given that alcohol is one of the safest general purpose cleaning fluids around. ;-) And that there was alcohol in some petrol on sale in the UK years ago. So what materials in a fuel system came into use between then and now?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Several of the rubbers that are commonly found in fuel systems definitely don't much like even E5. Any-old-fuel-hose that'd have been fine a while back will now last a year or so at most. There's different formulations for Ethanol-heavy fuels, and different again that's E100-proof.

The FBHVC are, as ever, a good source of real hard info without scaremongering.

Adrian

Yep, they do. Typically three green pumps. E10-95, 95 and 98. Plus the slippy-slidy black filth, of course...

Reply to
Adrian

They still offer ordinary unleaded as well - as seen today at the Leclerc near Boulogne.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The last of those is what I filled up with. Saved about £10.

Reply to
Tim Streater