OT: Come Duncing QI DVD

Hi - I know this is not DIY, but there seem to be people here who have knowledge of a lot of issues.

I've just seen the QI DVD "Come Duncing" - in which Steven Fry asks questions and teams compete with their answers. Each team selects their answer, and you then see and hear the correct answer - and the programme somehow keeps a tally of the score. At the end of each section you can see the score for each team, and Fry announces who is the winner. But how? This is just a DVD, being played on a non-recordable DVD player, feeding into a TV set. Does anyone know which wizardry is used to store scores and calculate and compare totals, then presumably selecting which DVD clip to play to announce if the winner was team A or team B?

Cheers

Reply to
JIP

Well, I'd imagine all the possible outcomes and scores are on the dvd. Surely you remember these sort of things that started with Laserdisc, and got more sophisticated as the storage got bigger.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Having looked it up the programme consists of 36 quizzes of 10 multiple choice questions. If its assumed that each multiple choice question has 5 answers then that gives 36*10*5 possible answers for each team.

Presumably the teams "answer" by using menu selections just as you use menu selections to select an episode on a conventional DVD. If say there were six episodes to choose from then the programme selection "logic tree" programmed into the disc would only have six outcomes.

Basically the quiz "logic tree" for the Come Duncing DVD works in the same way except its a lot more complicated. Rather than the selection of an episode resulting from a menu selection, in this case the score at the end of each round - a short clip of Fry reading the score - and there will be a clip covering all possible scores - will be the result of the menu selections made by both teams.

That's the basic idea of how it will work. A very complicated logic tree whose outcomes at each stage - what appears on the screen are goverened by all the possible sequences of menu selections. The actual clips of Fry reading the scores may consist of shorter sections of his just reading certain numbers.

michael adams

michael adams

There is a simple scripting language used to contol DVD menus, etc. It can be used to program (very) simple games, and I presume it would be used cont rol this quiz. I've not looked at it, but I'm sure info is avaialable onlin e. Often DVD mastering software can produce the scripts.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson