[OT] Cold calling challenge

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Yup. Even less crap.

Actually, I have an arangement with Wayne, our postman, to shove anything interesting through the letterbox but to keep anything else. Seems to work most of the time.

Reply to
Guy King

Me too; I get very very few of these calls but the last one said they'd just dialled me at random before being told where to put his headset.

(Out of interest though, do random-dialled numbers legally need to be screened against the TPS list before being dialled?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

If you go down that route, I wonder does it create more hassle for the postie who then has to worry about the houses where he can't post crap; or will he thank you for giving him less crap to carry on his round?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes. All random-dialled numbers should be TPS screened. If not, they are in breach of TPS rules.

Reply to
ABC

I wondered exactly that, and decided they probably balanced out.

To misquote Arlo Guthrie: "if two people do it...if three people do it...etc....fifty people a day, yes..." - if we all do it, guess he may or may not be happy...

Reply to
Bob Eager

| snipped-for-privacy@bigmailbox.net wrote: |> ABC wrote: |>> Also don't forget the more people that sign up for TPS (and BT's version of |>> it) then the less people these telesales companies can legally call. THey |>> will try and resort to immoral or unethical practices to get their call to |>> you. |> |> Yes, we're TPS registered, ex-directory, and have caller id. When the |> occasional cold caller gets through that lot, the spiel would often be |> "you recently took part in a survey....". |> I don't think so. |> | |Me too; I get very very few of these calls but the last one said they'd |just dialled me at random before being told where to put his headset. | |(Out of interest though, do random-dialled numbers legally need to be |screened against the TPS list before being dialled?)

Yes all sales calls should be checked against TPS list. A computer dialling at random is a lot more dangerous than a person, it does not get bored.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

They can get around it by addressing the mail to "The Occupier"

NTL are one of the main culprits for this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

It's clearly never rung my mum.

Reply to
Guy King

And if I opt out, that still leaves 3 lots of junk for the other three flats landing on the mat. Plus the stuff for people who haven't' lived here for a dozen years. We keep a recycle bag in the hall, manage to fill it every week.

Reply to
DJC

In article , Broadback writes

Sticker on my letterbox: "No junk mail or free newspapers please" seems to work ok.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson