OT: Coal -fired power stations and electricity generation

Is it my imagination, or has the output from coal-fired power stations dropped significantly since Kellingley closed on the 18th (Gridwatch)?

If not my imagination, and I don't think it is, is it a coincidence or something significant? I rather assumed that Kellingley closed because it was uneconomic compared with imported coal. I also assumed that the amount of imported coal would continue at the same or at an increased rate, so I wouldn't expect the amount of coal-fired generation to change. So what is going on?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

winter demand is much less over the xmas period, and I guess the coal burners are saving their hours for the really high profit Jan-Mar period

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure about that. We recently had 4 nuke reactors out of action unplanne d and coal use was very low indeed. We were using the OCGT's frequently and importing leccy across all the interconnectors, even from Ireland (until r ecently very rare to see the UK importing instead of exporting). So the pri ce must have been high.

Reply to
philipuk

I think that reflects the fact that it takes a long time to bring up coal.

Its not the technology of choice for emergency power

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

Stations are being forced to close because they can't comply with the EU's emissions rules. Have you been living under a stone for the last two years?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm aware of that, thank you, but if it's a closure to comply with EU emissions rules, why the coincidence with the pit closing, and which power station was it that closed? I see that Eggborough and Ferrybridge are nearby, but that they're both scheduled to significantly reduce or cease generating early next year. Has the closure of Kellingley precipitated their earlier closure?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

no. not directly. Basically the EU and the govt have decided to make coal uneconomic. That reflects on the power station closures. They of course represented a local market for coal that has gone. That wasn't an economic market anyway. so there is no chance of the coal being exported.

so bye bye colliery.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

stations

(Gridwatch)?

I noticed that coal was less than 5 GW during the day (not normal) and flat lining (also abnormal) over the weekend but thought it was just down to it being unseasonaly warm.

I hadn't made a possible link with Kellingley, not easy to find which power stations they supplied Ferrybridge and Drax are mentioned. The profitable contract with Drax ending at the end of the year. But even so surely the stations have at least a few days supply stockpiled?

Ah, saving the stockpiles for maximum profit? Looking at the monthly graph you can see coal ramp down from about the 14th to start a day time flatline at about 5 GW with night time drops to 2 to 3 GW. Considering coal was runing at nearly 15 GW in Jan/Feb and was at 10 GW during Oct/Nov there has been a significant change.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isn't the limit on CO2 an absolute limit rather than a percentage. If so it makes sense to not run them unless the grid is demanding more expensive electricity.

Reply to
dennis

I suppose it depends what else you've eaten.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright