OT: Clutha helicopter fuel indicator could from green to red without warning

The blades of many modern helicopters are very lightweight. If the blade angle is set wrong, air resistance alone will stop a rotor very quickly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It did happen. See my other message about lightweight blades.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But not over Glasgow

Reply to
The Other Mike

p11 ? For a 5 page document?

Reply to
The Other Mike

look again. its a pdf dump of a booklet with a lot of pages 'missing'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You appear to be reading things in that report that were not written.

Lack of major damage does not automatically suggest:

a) no great (engine) speed at time of impact b) ruling out a bird strike c) no material ingress

Reply to
The Other Mike

Which, under loss of power without the collective being adjusted, they will be.

That's my thoughts as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:35:17 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote: You cannot just stop

Transmission failure. Helicopters don't fly at great heights (not compared to aircraft), which means that you don't have a lot of time. Wasting time o n the mic calling for a mayday, when you're about to plummet onto a pub roo f in a few seconds wouldn't be your first choice.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Did i hear right that no mayday call was put out? what was the chopper doing in the area? chasing twockers, searching for scroats hiding in bushes, or just cruising about for fun?

i.e. was there not a running commentary with ground units as you hear on those police stop proggies when the helicopter is directing traffic cops etc?

Reply to
Gazz

On 18/12/2013 17:42, Gazz wrote: ...

Correct.

Returning to base after two operations.

No reason for one on an RTB.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I don't recall seeing bats in central Glasgow, although it has changed a lot since I lived there.

It appears that you can and I suspect that the why of that will form an important part of the AAIB investigation.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Silverline. Attended a presentation by Ester Rantzen Manchester recently

Reply to
bert

GB put finger to keyboard:

My wife volunteered for the Samaritans but they kicked her out after the first three callers still topped themselves afterwards. They wouldn't have minded so much but one was a wrong number.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Scion

A quarter the fuel that a full Spitfire would have had before going into battle in France in 1940.

Was it upside down when things started to go wrong? Bloody Germans! And they bombed our chipshop!!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

As the crash took place at around 10:15pm, would there be any birds flying around? At the moment, in these parts, they all disappear at

3:15pm, and go off to roost for the night.
Reply to
Ian Jackson

It is not impossible, if something disturbed them in their roost, but, as I said, unlikely. I only mentioned bird strike in passing early on, as it is the most common cause of compressor stall.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I like the Yank asking if the Spitfire data was in US gallons.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The LBJ's would probably be roosting but in my experience of city centers seagulls never sleep.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well they did use a Merlin engine in the Mustang

Reply to
bert