[ot] cleaning cds and dvds

Hi,

I wondered what the group recommends for cleaning children's sticky fingerprints off DVDs and CDs?

Is something like this ideal:

'm thinking it needs to be lint free to avoid scratching the disc? I know you can wipe radially and small radial scratches will not affect the disc but being a little obsessive, I'd rather not scratch the disc at all!

TIA

Reply to
Fred

A bowl of luke warm soapy water, a soft clean sponge and a microfibre cloth.

Reply to
Ericp

A small spot of detergent and running warm water, dry with a soft cloth. You already know to wipe radially.

The surafce to be careful of is the label side rather than the playing side. The information is very close to the label side but pretty much the full thickness of the disc from the playing side. It's that distance that makes radial surface scratches on the playing side so out of focus to the reading laser that they have to be pretty large before the error correction can't cope.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Really?

I understood you should not wipe optical disks radially, as this means any scratches are much more likely to be along the track rather than across them, which means it is much more likely the error correction cant fix it...

Reply to
Toby

Which way do you think the tracks are laid down on a CD?

Reply to
polygonum

Err doesn't radial mean along the radius? From the centre out or outside in and therefore across the track?

Reply to
Andrew May

On the flat bits?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, sorry, for some reason I though radially meant around, rather than across :-S

I suppose the clue was radius...

I will go and sit in the corner....

Reply to
Toby

Tangential

For a cylinder the axes are axial, radial and tangential, in polar co-ordinates.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wash mine in warm water with a dash of Fairy liquid. One thing to watch for if the cds have been put into the player while messy is that the central spindle and upper retaiining clamp can become messy. The only way to sort this is to get inside and clean the two surfaces with something like IPA. Can be a bit fiddly. Adults can be just as messy as Children!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is true for CDs but not for DVDs. The information is close to the middle of the disc.

Reply to
Mark