OT: Cleaning a Barbour jacket

I've reproofed one of these before but I can't find any information on actually cleaning rather than just adding more wax. Mine has become shiny and almost black in places and I'd like to remove this before re-waxing rather than just seal it in for posterity.

Any ideas?

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

Scrape the thick stuff, wash the rest (soap, water, hand scrubbing brush), or warm iron through kitchen roll (the wax melts, acts as a solvent carrier and is absorbed by the paper) for stains. Rewaxing and the go over with a hairdrier afterwards improves the appearance a lot.

Regular re-waxing is really important for avoiding wear holes in waxed cotton. Otherwise the wax wears into creases and all the folding action is then concentrated at one spot, wearing a hole. I re-wax twice a year.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Brazilian ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes" saying something like:

Back, crack and sack.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Waaaay too much info ...

Reply to
geoff

8-) As I look increasingly like an angrier version of Wolverine, including a set of neo-Victorian steampunk sideburns, one may assume not.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

You have steampunk sideburns on your groin?

Whatever, buy a razor, YKIMS.

I've considered setting up a charity to offer razors to men who go in public with wanky facial growths. Painbrish bears head the list of stupid facial hair, but Midge Ure style sideburns aren't far behind.

Reply to
Steve Firth