OT: Choosing tyres

In message , Ron Lowe writes

... and if you phone the Watford Costco Tyre phone number and you get a fax squawking at you down the line at you, it's my fax, so don't do a redial

Reply to
geoff

I recently used

and was very impressed - good priced tyres (you pay the full fitting/balancing price online) and I had the choice of either a mobile fitter coming to my home or me going to a nearby garage have them fitted (I chose the latter - the tyres were delivered to them direct). Will certainly do this next time. No more hassle than a national depot place, and a lot cheaper.

David

Reply to
Lobster

"REGULATION 24 : This Regulation specifies what type of tyre may be fitted to different classes of vehicle, and any conditions and/or exemptions that apply. As far as those dealing with trucks and/or cars are concerned one item covered is the restrictions on the fitment of tyres that are 'Regroovable' (referred to in the regulations as 'Re-cut' ). The fact that no regrooved pneumatic tyre may be fitted to a motor vehicle with an unladen weight of less than 2540 kg demonstrates the principal limitation on the use of such tyres. This Regulation also defines the vehicles to which 'Temporary Use Spare Tyres' may be fitted."

Rather suggests they are allowed. I remember reading the tyres on lorries and buses (I read any text that comes in front of my eyes) and many said "regroovable". Don't often end up waiting to cross busy roads nowadays so it might no longer be the case.

Reply to
Rod

Err, no. It's *way* more complicated than that. For example, why do race cars run on slicks in the dry?

Reply to
Huge

A lot of rally drivers like Colways...

Reply to
Huge

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not the first time I've seen these people recommended. Also, Black Circles

seem to be good.

I buy tyres for the Discovery wherever I can get them cheapest and for the TVR from Toyo who sponsor the TVR Car Club Speed Championship that I compete in.

much help unless you have a TVR... :o)

Reply to
Huge

NoSpam (NoSpam ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No 45 profile tyre is ever going to be quiet or smooth-riding.

Reply to
Adrian

Clot ("Clot" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

HGV & aircraft tyre carcasses are designed to be regrooved - not remoulded. There's enough thickness for new sipes and grooves to be cut into the existing tread.

Car tyres aren't. Remoulding consists of basically sticking another layer of tread onto the old carcass. I'm sure that they're a damn sight better than their reputation, but I still wouldn't. I've had remoulds come to me on used wheels and cars, and they've been universally unimpressive.

Reply to
Adrian

mike (mike ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nor, I'd wager, did they grip at all well. Every time I've bought a car with 'em on, I've swapped 'em as soon as possible for something decent.

The problem comes when you DO need to brake heavily - because some numpty's just pulled out in front of you or stepped off the pavement without looking. Cheap tyres can be the difference between brown underpants and an insurance claim.

They're a top-tier brand. OEM on most German stuff.

Mmm. Taxi drivers are notorious for "How cheap can I get away with, never mind the quality".

Reply to
Adrian

Banned on cars, but certain types of tyres are designed to be recut.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was Tyresoles. A remould applies new 'rubber' all round. And not exactly 'stuck' on - it's bonded.

Given the prejudice many have on remoulds - and that virtually no one retails them anymore - I'd guess it's not based on experience, or rather recent experience.

Saying remoulds are universally impressive is rather like saying tyres are universally impressive. It depends, like tyres, on how they are manufactured.

FWIW the only tyre I've had fail on me due to a manufacturing defect was a brand new high price Pirelli. Many years ago, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used

several times. Price seemed less than local tyre fitters. Very easy. Fitter arrives, checks which tyres were to be changed and just gets on with it. Leaving me free to carry on with my own work. When finished driver calls and takes payment by Visa (phones it through to his office). Tyres are balanced on in-van machine. The compressor makes a bit of a noise though but he switches it off when not needed. They don't, or didn't, do tracking.

I'll continue to use them.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

I stand corrected!

Reply to
Clot

yeah - the magic word above is HGV

Reply to
geoff

I know an aircraft tyre hasn't been kerbed, or run flat, anything nasty. They get scrapped. I don't know that about car remoulds, nor does my supplier.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Missed that first time.

Grip better than the Michelin I tried on the same car (1.6 Primera), but didn't last nearly as long. Conti's on the front, Michelin on the rear improved handling (less understeer), the other way around was horrible.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

With a name like that, they're guaranteed to start doing brakes and exhausts before too long.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You're joking? It's common for one or more to burst on landing.

As I said you have to pay to get rid of tyre carcasses so a remoulder has no reason to use rubbish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Weren't slicks banned in F1 because at the slightest hint of rain every car slid off the track? Remember Austrian GP a few years back?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

Now that's the odd thing - they've been going since 1989. What I didn't know was they they went into receivership in 2001 and had a management buy out the same year, closing half their outlets and loosing the wholesale side of the business.

I suppose it's telling that Sutton branch wasn't closed. Perhaps they had crap outlets, but my experience has been a reasonably priced, helpful and efficient service.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Southerwood