OT - choosing an energy supplier

Hi,

I have Googled and searched the list of NGs but can't find anywhere to discuss different energy suppliers.

I have used the 'switchwithwhich' site to try different 'energywatch' sites.

In general they come up with much the same results, but a couple also give 'service ratings' which could be pretty important.

There are also amazingly similar prices between 'standing charge' and 'no standing charge' tarrifs, which doesn't look right. What are the odds that we are on the crossover point between the 'no standing charge' (for lower usage) and 'standing charge' (for higher usage) tarrifs.

The results suggest a big saving if you change to a dual fuel tarrif and pay by monthly direct debit. Just not sure how much to trust the projected figures.

If anyone knows of a forum to discuss UK energy suppliers, a pointer to it would be much appreciated.

TIA Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

I pay from 1st October 3.03p per kWh from Telecom Plus. I received their new rates with my last bill. I have the land line telephone deal and "all" calls, local and national, are now at local rate with many international call prices being dropped. 100 free minutes every weekend to any other Telecom Plus user thrown in too. This company supplies all utilities, even freephone numbers, gas, elec', mobiles, broadband, etc. They, and Centrica, are the only companies that do all the utilities, but Centrica operate separate companies, so you get separate bills and separate service departments. I have one point of contact and one bill. Much easier.

The more services you have with them the more you save as they drop off standing charges and the likes. The "bottom line" for my gas, elec and land line is what matters and I find it difficult to beat what these offer. If I went to three separate suppliers with three separate bills and dropped one each year for another slightly cheaper, then I may get a better deal overall, but I have all the hassle of finding those cheaper suppliers, changing over and the cheap ones have appalling billing system with constant mistakes and virtually no customers service. It all comes on one itemised bill, which I like as I see all in one place at the same time. Many comparison web sites don't have Telecom Pus there as they will not pay commission to them. So be weary about comparison sites.

They don't have minimum contracts, so you are not locked in for a year or so, even with mobile phones too. I was with other suppliers but the bad experience with large bills and the hassle to sort it out was not worth it. I am intending to go over to their broadband for £24.99 a month, with no minimum contract, so if I don't like it the deal is off. So far a very happy bunny. The Times did an excellent article on them a few weeks back, with the writer saying she was going over to them for her bills. Made me feel like I had done some research right. Well worth checking out.

IMM