OT - Chips

I've never owned or..I think..eaten chips made in one of these new fangled Chip Fryers'. Leaving aside aspects of health and life expectancy.

Your advice is requested on these. How does the Chip Fryer fried chip compare to;

a) The chippy chip? Must be better..surely!

b) The chips our mams made in a frying pan in days of yore?

Arthur.

Reply to
Arthur

Main benefit is safety - they can't boil over on their own as a pan can due to having a thermostat. And if you cause them to overflow though whatever reason, there's no flame or whatever below to ignite that oil.

Otherwise, the results they give are the same if you use the same fat or oil in a pan.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I find they're very nice - and of course freshly made with just the right crisp outer and soft inner!

The fryers are thermostatically controlled and therefore safer than the old fryers.

We have a Kenwood, which comes apart for cleaning. Nearly all the parts (body, lid, filter, basket and pan) can be put in the dishwasher, leaving just the power pod (dial and cable, basically) to wipe down.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How do you dispose of the oil?

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Dunno...my wife does that. I think she pours it into an old Coke bottle...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can always do an engine conversion on your car. IIRC there is some guy in the USA who did this and now gets all his fuel free from his local diners.

Don

Reply to
Don Spumey

Probably.

Impossible.

Reply to
Hywel

There's no conversion to do. Strain the chip fat through a pair of ladies' tights (come on fellas - we've all got a pair) and add a bit of diesel to thin it out a bit. It's still subject to tax, though, I think at the same rate as petrol or diesel.

Reply to
Hywel

Don Spumey

On the other side of the coin, repeatedly used veg oil is the source of damagingly high levels of oxidants. Oxidants cause some of our very worst health problems.

Yes, crunchy chips is nice, but I'll stick to cooking them in a small amount of fresh oil myself.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Reply to
Hywel

So do I, but I still get crunchy chips - what's the correlation?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dunno why, but I have this mental image of hundreds of petrol mowers etc., spewing forth chip fumes next year ;-)

Don

Reply to
Don Spumey

Making bio-diesel is a bit more complicated than filtering chip fat:

Rob Morley

In message , Arthur writes

Doesn't it all boil down to what the chips are fried in ?

Some oils have a lower boiling temperature and so don't crisp off the chips

A chip fryer is just a means of heating the fat / oil

Get thee some good old chip fat if tha' wants good chips

... of course it's not that simple, it also depends on the type of potatoes used

Reply to
raden

In message , Malcolm Stewart writes

Google "bio diesel"

Reply to
raden

Speak for yourself

Reply to
raden

So, how much methanol do you add ?

Reply to
raden

Yes, I wondered about that too. I don't have a pair and Spouse doesn't need a pair.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Beef dripping.

I don't know of any which won't chip but some are better than others. I've found that Nicola, which are normally sold for salad, are excellent for chips but they do need different conditions than, say, Duke of York.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher