OT Cheap clocks

You can edit the registry to make it sync its clock with NTP more frequently or download a little utility which allows you to select how often you want it to sync, then adds it to the registry. Mine is set to sync once every hour.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nor I !

All of my Nokia's seem to have a setting to regularly adjust their time from the network, but I have never had one do it - Rather odd.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think there must be time data present, because they do it in the USA. Get on a plane with both UK and US GSM phones. Turn them off (or into flight mode). Fly across the country to a different time zone. Turn them back on. The UK phone will still show whatever time it had before but the US one will have automatically adjusted itself to the new time zone.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

The NICAM distribution used to feed the transmitters does have a slight delay - but so small you won't see it on a clock if listening to analogue FM etc. There are delays inherent in DAB and FreeView - much of it introduced by the home receiver. If you listen to two DAB receivers at the same time you'll notice the delays are different. Same with FreeView which is different from DAB too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is some strange country-specific interaction. In the UK, my 6310i didn't sync up automatically originally and usually had the wrong time as I never bothered to correct it, even though I configure the phone with "Auto update of date and time" On. When I fly to the US, my 6310i syncs up to the US time automatically without me doing anything. When I come back, at random (perhaps every couple of days) I get pop-ups appearing on the 6310i asking do I want to sync the time to the network (this never happened before I went to the US, nor in the US). I click Yes, and it instantly says "Failed", and remains unsync'ed. After a week or so, the pop-ups stop, and it remains unsync'ed and is now set to US time as I never corrected it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My Nokia is set to pick up the time from the network, and when we went to India a few weeks ago on holiday, it did just that. However, having returned, it has completely failed to change back.

Is it something to do with the network, rather than the 'phone?

Reply to
Huge

Thats all there is where the computer is..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep - IME, Orange, O2 and Vodafone don't support it.

Reply to
Grant

Ah. I'm with Vodafone.

Reply to
Huge

There seems to be more than one mechanism though. I found that the phone didn't reset its time when returning to the VF UK network, but the Blackberry does - so I thought that there may be something in the Blackberry protocols that does it. However, on roaming to AT&T Cingular in the U.S. it didn't set to local time, so I don't know.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Me: Nokia, O2.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There is. If you're on Vodafone you can interrogate the network and get it,

*#103# Send

I'm sure there are codes for the other networks too. I've never had my phone update, despite having 'Time Update' set to on. Not here, nor in other countries, not been to the US with yet though.

Reply to
Mark Carver

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Yes, I displayed the output from two Freeview set-top boxes side-by-side to compare the picture quality, and was surprised to see one lagging the other by about two seconds.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've not seen anything like that difference. Were you viewing on a Plasma and CRT set at the same time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I get that difference between the HDD/DVD freeview output and the Virgin STB on the same TV in split screen mode

Reply to
geoff

Right. Virgin is cable? Could be delayed for all sorts of reasons. I've got several FreeView boxes here and the difference between then is slight, but annoying if you move between rooms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

No, using the same set with PiP in split-screen mode.

One display was from the TV's own in-built Freeview decoder, the other from an external PVR. The PVR has the ability to pause live TV, so perhaps the delay was caused by the box buffering to hard disk on-the- fly.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Right. I have a Topfield and it doesn't show those symptoms compared to a straightforward Freeview box.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)