OT: Carborexia

From World Wide Words;

"To exhibit "carborexia" is to have an extreme "dark green" attitude to environmental issues. This can show itself in several ways, such as excessive recycling, but in particular it refers to an obsessive desire to reduce one's personal carbon footprint. The term first appeared in an article in the New York Times on 17 October. The adjective is "carborexic"."

I think we have a new word chaps :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A new word to go along with the new physical condition that doctors (actually, orthopedists) are calling "Texters Thumb." I don't think you need an explanation of how the condition is caused, do you? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Same as wankers cramp innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

message

I wouldn't know. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

......a tendency often found in posters to Freecycle groups.

Reply to
The Wanderer

DeQuervain's tenosynovitis apparently. Its a real condition!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Donotknowhathehellitis. I was told that kids are growing thicker, harder thumbs because of the text craze that goes with mobile phones et al. And now it even has a Latin name. :-) WOW!!!

Reply to
BigWallop

When my youngest daughter was about 14 I can remember one of her friends calling round for her. Instead of ringing the bell, she sent her a text message saying she was outside :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ROFL !!! Same here. Daughter says "Dad, why don't you just text him?" I told her I preferred to call on the phone and talk to the person. But it doesn't seem to be anti-social to use this texting stuff now-a-days.

And I thought we were making it better for our kids. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Not much chance of texting that once you've got it. I wonder what the texting abbreviation for it is? (n)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've seen teenagers texting each other from opposite sides (not ends) of a railway carriage. The whole thing baffles me. But then, I am very old.

Reply to
Huge

But he was Swiss not Latin. :-)

Reply to
Rod

KHUF, I H8 it 2 M8. T2Go, L8trs.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well if you have 500 "free" texts to get through every month you may as well use 'em. I've called people on their mobile from my mobile when they have been only 10 yds away and I could see them but couldn't attract their attention due to noise, them having their back to me and there being a physical barrier between us.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

KHUF Definition: ICAO code for Terre Haute International Airport, Terre Haute, Indiana, United States

WTF? :P

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It just amazes me that it works at all.

Some texts I've sent have taken *hours* to arrive.

No 1 son works close to the Orange data centre. He says you wouldn't believe how often they used to run out of hard disk space.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

As I understand it, the popularity of SMS took the Telcos very much by surprise.

Reply to
Huge