OT: Car Tyre recommendations

I thought remoulds were illegal. Or is that just on trucks?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not in 1990...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Huge, in your world everything is shit.

That's why you are in my killfile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno. They remould aircraft tyres, so the principle must be OK for mere cars etc.

But many get confused with remoulds and re-cuts or re-treads. And so on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Re-cuts haven't been legal on most passenger cars for decades. So put away that soldering iron. Its done on truck tyres though, AND I vaguely it being legal for remember the heaviest passenger cars.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ah. I didn't know that.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

2-3k a year, the tyres will have perished before being worn out...

I tend to buy known brands, Goodyear, Pirrelli, Veredstien. had Michelin in the past but not been overly impressed, tendancy to squeal with little provocation.

Last set of Pirellies (Scorpion M&S) havn't impressed, only 26,000 miles, ~18 months. And they have knocked about 3 mpg off the fuel ecomony compared to the Veredstiens (proper winter tyres, Wintrac 4 Extreme, superb on snow) that did 46,000 miles.

I work on the basis that it's those 4 tiny contact patches between tyre and road that is all that is keeping you going where you want to go. So tyre choice is not something to scrimp on and needs to made with due regard to the vehicles use and road conditions.

The present car came with Hankook (IIRC) OK, just, in the dry, bit iffy in the wet, useless on snow. But that did really reflect the tread pattern, rather large blocks, with narrow channels (can't shift the water out) and no sipes (the edges give grip on snow).

When I need another set of tyres they will be Veredstien Wintrac 4 Extremes again and I'll run the all year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Particularly you.

Sensitive little flower, aren't you, you lying sack of pus?

Hopefully the shitty noname tyres on your crappy rotbox will kill you and your family.

Reply to
Huge

That's pretty sick, even for usenet. Beginning to think he has a point a bout killfiling you.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

See also Wan-li.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes. But plenty seem to confuse anything with 're' at the start of it with tyres.

The Colway site was quite convincing. They were *paid* to take worn tyres, so had the pick of the carcasses they'd re-use. So much so they stuck to one make to remould from - IIRC Michelin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It turns out the regulations don't cover retreads, or tyres intended for pre-1990 vehicles:

"The Labelling Regulation applies to the supply of new car, 4x4, van and truck tyres with rim sizes greater than 254 and less than 635 mm. The principal exclusions are motorcycle tyres, retread tyres, T-tyre temporary use spare tyres, tyres for pre-1990 vehicles and racing tyres. The full list of exclusions is in Article 2 of the Regulation EC 1222/2009."

So even if you did this today they wouldn't be measured on the standard scale.

In terms of grip, it's interesting that going from G to A reduces the wet stopping distance by 30%, so that measure makes a big difference. On the other hand, G to A on fuel economy is only 7.5%.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I had a remould tyre strip its tread at 90mph on a motorway. I did not know at the time that the Vauxhall main dealer had fitted remoulds. I had to replace all the tyres. Stopping distances apply to newly made and fitted tyres, as the tyres age, the rubber hardens and the stopping distances degrade. Caravan tyres have a lifespan of about 6 yrs IME, purely due to rubber degradation. The tread cracks have to be seen to be appreciated.

Reply to
Capitol

Ha! Well, that is an interesting situation!

But, having tyres which perform well in the wet give you greater control over the braking of the car. If they have more traction in the wet than teflon ditch finders, you are less likely to skid off the road.

You'll be more likely to be able to swerve out of his way ;-)

Reply to
David Paste

More fool you. You are paying more because you will only use those who have bought a known brand and use that.

Reply to
JHY

Yeah, me too.

Reply to
JHY

Never come even close to anything like that.

Personal experience teaches me that "no name"

Just as true with those that have bought a once good brand, and you obviously have to pay for them having done that.

Reply to
JHY

Czekoslovakian remoulds are my tyres of choice.

Reply to
Andy Bennett

Some are, some aren't. That's why there's a test, to see which to avoid. For example here:

there's a budget tyre with the same grip as some of the premium tyres. But the other brand of budget is worse.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Hi! I suggest you two stores if you are located in uk. Visit live store

or
place order online or call any time

Reply to
cloudtyres