OT car stereo

Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws and it's still not budging...

Sorry for the OT but i'm a desperate hombre

Cheers

Joe.

Reply to
JoeFaeGlesga

Not OT, you're doing it yourself!

You need a pair of special 'tools'. Basically U-shaped wire loops, parallel sides, that have little grooves on the ends. Push into the pairs of holes each side (the screws merely blank the holes) until they click. The tools then become handles and you can pull the radio out. They disengage latches inside...

You can get these at some car radio dealers (others will say "trade only, guv" or "security, can't sell you any") but persevere. If in east Kent, I'll lend you mine - email me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

After removing the grub screws, insert 2 standard DIN removal tools into the holes. The next step requires a bit of a knack. However, it involves pushing the tools outwards, whilst pulling them towards you. It is easier with a radio cassette, as you can jam your fingers inside the slot and pull, especially if you are blessed with having three hands.

Once the stereo is out, you may wish to also remove the cage if you are thinking of installing a non-Vauxhall stereo. This involves using a screwdriver to pull the retaining tabs inside the cage. The cage then slides forwards and if you are really lucky you might have enough slack on the cables to be able to get the cage out and disconnect the sockets.

Christian McArdle

I replaced my car radio the other day and used a 4" bit of 2.5mm T&E. Split the main conductors out (with their individual insulators still on) and bend in a U shape. Shove into each hole and tada! Worked perfectly.

JohnW

Reply to
John

> Christian.

heh heh, I fashioned a set of 'removal tools' out of a wire coathanger

Reply to
.

If you cannot get a DIN removal tool at the local motor factors then 4 split pins work well.

I seem to recall that the vauxhall stereo sockets are clumped together as one socket but they do split into 2 to allow them to fit non Vauxhall stereos. For some reason Vauxhall have (or certainly used to have) the permanent live and switched live the opposite way round to all other makers.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes my wife's X reg Zafira still has the permanent & switched lives swapped over compared with most other makes. The rear sockets are clumped together in the cage, but are only a push fit, so can be removed from the cage giving one connector with power etc. and one with the speaker connections, maybe a third for remore autochanger etc. on some stereos.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Still did on my '53 (old shape) Zafira. The Pioneer that replaced it had a changeover on the wiring loom to fix it, so no problem.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The advantage of the genuine tool (especially if well made), is that they can provide a considerable amount of pulling force on the stereo.

Hand fashioned tools usually disengage the latches fine, but if removing a CD player, there's often no way of pulling the thing out.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

eh ? every one I've ever done has /always/ just popped out easily. with a bit of a wiggle. (I've done about a dozen stereo swaps)

Reply to
.

Lucky you!

However, there is only so much wiggle you can give with a bit of 2.5mm T&E. The wire just bends and although capable of disengaging the catches, doesn't perform the secondary function of latching on to provide some pull force.

With some stereos this doesn't matter, either because they protrude enough that you can get a grip on the fascia, or they are radio cassettes, so can be pulled by the slot.

However, if you have a CD player, with no cassette slot, and a narrow low profile fascia that you can't get any grip on, you really need the proper tools.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

which is why I use a _wire coathanger_, cut and bent to suit the release points.

no you don't ! simply fashion a small hook from the coathanger to slip inside the slot. be careful and you won't leave any scratches on the fascia.

Reply to
.

That was lucky. I would have thought that 2.5 T&E would not allow you to pull the stereo forwards. I have used 2.5 T&E to release the clips but I also had access to the back of the stereo via the removed ashtray to push a screwdriver through the holes in the cage to push the stereo forwards after the clips were released.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Bob Eager writes

Halfords stock most of these tools.

Reply to
Bill

No Halfords here - they were forced out of business by a local independent car spares shop!

Reply to
Bob Eager

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net declared for all the world to hear...

Halfords sell them.