OT - Car Specifications

Well obviously Rod Speed had been at it.

The Freelander will hunt a little when cold, but once warm its spot on. Hard acceleration gradually easing off as it gets to the correct speed.

Its a matter of proper programming.

Modern boxes and modern cruise control is better than that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You must have driven crap autos then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

No, it was the top of the range, though quite a few years ago..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Which car is that ?

Reply to
Slomo

The first auto I drove was a Ford Zephyr or Zodiac or something. Absolutely hopeless.That would be around 1975.

The first I owned was a Jag XK8, Blissful. That was around 1999

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No reason why a well designed climate control can't have a button which tells it to operate the way you want when getting into the car cold and do it the way you want when you tell it to stop doing that by unpressing that button when warm enough.

Reply to
Slomo

Not everyone lives in flatland. I've just driven on a fuckload of roads that no torquey diesel could hope to ascend in top gear. Autos work better with cruise control than manuals, period.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why would you want a system to mimic idiotic behaviour?

Climate control left to its own devices does *exactly* what Tim is trying to achieve without interference. It works to get the cabin to the preset temp as quickly as possible. If the engine isn't hot enough no amount of fiddling will get it to heat up faster.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For those who want it to operate like that.

No it does not when the person wants the car much hotter than normal when they have got very cold outside the car, want to be warmed up as quickly as possible when they get into the car, and then automatically return to normal temp once the individual has been quickly warmed up.

But he doesn?t want the preset temperature initially, he wants much warmer to warm himself up quickly.

But when the engine is hot enough, it can do what he wants.

Reply to
Slomo

Yesterday I drove my wife's 55BHP hatchback 50 miles of dual carriageway with the back stuffed full of things, and didn't have to change down on any of the hills.

I'm aware that there are hills that would have required it - M40 going up the Chilterns' scarp for instance - but they are rare on roads where I'd use cruise.

Many years ago I had a Cavalier auto - and _that_ climbed that hill in top.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Takes about 5 miles in a diesel Fiesta:-(

How difficult would it be to reverse the air con to give heat in the cabin?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That is not much of a hill! My car manages it in 7th gear - unless the traffic seizes up.

Reply to
polygonum

I don't want it to do that, though. Point is that what I need hot-cold-wise at any given moment does not necessarily correlate with the temperature setting.

Assuming the coolant etc is up to temperature, I want the *heater's* output temperature to be settable. But the system I have wants me to choose a *cabin* temperature. It then heads towards that as fast as possible.

I might at this moment have a cabtemp of 17. If I move the setting to

22, I get air at 900C until the *cabin* reaches 22. Conversely, if I at this moment the cabtemp is 27 and I want air at 22, what I actually get is air at -273C until the cabin reaches 22. A dead loss and I'm fed up with it.
Reply to
Tim Streater

No, *some* auto climates are a pain in the arse for *some* people. (The same goes for auto just-about-anything.)

I'm on my third car with auto climate, lights, and wipers. I'm pleased with all of them.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Tim+ a écrit :

I don't live in a flatland. Next week I will be towing a large caravan through the worst of the Welsh mountains, which I have done several times before - I fully expect to have cruise engaged for much of the drive.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Memories of my old 1500 cc Beetle. M62 eastbound was fun. If I didn't get a good run at it I had to change down before the summit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

auto lights eh!

does it somehow know that you are in a county that requires daylight running and automatically turn them on for you?

tim

Reply to
tim...

LOL (and I actually did for the first time in a long time).

What you are describing there is a digital engineers idea of a solution, not necessarily what everyone wants (especially you).

It sounds exactly the same scenario as HID headlights. Nice in theory, especially when you are sitting behind them driving down an unlit road (at night ) but not so nice for *anyone* who gets swept with them whilst waiting to get onto a roundabout (or worse, when someone has pulled up on the wrong side of the road and left their headlights on).

Maybe they will be fine (required even) when cars are driving themselves (at night) but then I'll be able to shut my eyes and have a nap. ;-)

As an aside, anyone with tinnitus like mine will easily understand the human temperature scenario thing above. Because I have tinnitus I like some background 'noise' to help mask it (TV, radio, white noise in bed). Too much noise (duration and / or volume) and my tinnitus level increases so it would be very difficult for any automatic system to manage that.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Very occasionally clunky, but as long as you drive properly, you'd never notice it.

I've recently gone from a Citroen with a clutchless to the same model with a torque convertor (old school !). Both 1600cc diesel. Previous MPG over 28.000 miles was 45.5. Present MPG is 48.4.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I use the speed limiter far more than the cruise control.

Reply to
Jethro_uk