OT - Car Insurance Fiasco

Page 2 of 2

As all details are corrected and a requote obtained on the insurer's site before paying, the insurance if based wholly on truthful information.
Which was stated in the part of the post that you snipped.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Hoh yes, and it was one of the bigees, AXA, Aviva and Royal Sun Alliance ring bells but for the life of me I can't find the (heated) correspondence that passed between us when I found out so I can't say for sure.
The amount was non-trivial, 70quid or so in a 400quid premium so 15-20%.
I was more than a little cross at the time and added them to my shit list but that's not much use if you can't remember who it was . . . .
It really just confirmed my view that they will all do whatever they can get away with if you let them so I have no qualms about checking the honesty of their quotes by using minor mods in my details to check competitiveness before submitting my true details for a final quote.
It has also saved a bit of spam as a number of comparison sites hide in their privacy policy that they will share your supplied email address with the 3 cheapest quote providers. An excellent reason to use an invalid address at least for that stage.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

May not be necessary. Tesco for one will match 'new customer' prices without a quibble, asking for the quote ref to check that it is comparable to the renewal. (But this year I renewed with esure for £350 when Tesco couldn't get the new-customer price lower than £500; the renewal was £800+)
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:04:59 +0000, fred wrote:

Almost a textbook explanation to how to trip the real time fraud detection system*s* ;)
On 02/01/15 17:22, Jethro_uk wrote:

Not this again...
And how do you think they proceed to deal with the non-existant fraud after their faulty fraud alarms tripped?
Total nonsense - the insurance companies expect people to look at speculative quotes and there is no fraud if the correct details are supplied at contract time.
On 02/01/2015 17:22, Jethro_uk wrote:

Ah no, the way to do that is to put a £1 transaction through first to make sure the car details are correct before following it up with one for a few hundred.
I'm looking at you, John Lewis.
Andy
On 02/01/2015 17:22, Jethro_uk wrote:

Absolutely not. I've done this three times a year for many years and have had no problems at all.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying