OT - Car Insurance Fiasco

Page 1 of 2
So I called the Ins Co early December to try to get my wife's Fiesta insurance sorted, which is due early Jan. Was told that they cannot provide renewal earlier than 3 weeks in advance, so asked for a fresh quote. This was reluctantly provided at £640. The policy covers wife, myself and 22 year old daughter.
Two weeks later I get the official renewal document including premium £833!!
So I called Ins Co to get the price sorted and they said that the fresh quote would be honoured. But there were a couple of changes to make and further negotiations follow....
Start with new quote of £640 Increase annual milage from 10k to 12k - premium increase to £680 - OK
Here's the good bit.... Daughter's work status has changed from voluntary work to Trainee Accountant, but Ins Co doesn't have this title, so we simply add Accountant - premium increases to £809!!! Much spluttering and noises of disbelief from my end of the phone. So we try another job description equally appropriate of Accounts Assistant - premium reduces to £629!!!
From this I can only surmise that the premium offered includes a large percentage that is added based on perceived ability to pay (the policy does not cover business use).
Maybe there is a web site which lists job descriptions and the associated insurance surcharge (rip off).
I'll close by wishing to all everything they wish for themselves for 2015 (whether or not that be days filled with DIY).
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 10:08:52 +0000, TheChief wrote:

There's your problem. Start by ditching the brand loyalty, and play with a meerkat. Ring the changes, and experiment to see what gives you a good premium.
On 28/12/2014 10:12, Adrian wrote:

And I believe delete cookies before you revisit so they cant track you have already had a quote...or so I was told, as the best quotes go to `new` customers.
ss wrote:

I doubt cookies count for much, given your car reg plate, name, dob and inside leg measurement are already in their database ....

Years ago, my broker told me that my insurers wanted a hefty surcharge because I worked in the entertainment industry, so he found me another company. I had always assumed because, we (the entertainment inductry) were renowned for wild parties and were more prone to accidents as a result. A couple of years ago I discovered the real reason. We might be called on to give someone lift home and that someone was a very high earner. Any accident which involved such a person could be very expensive for the insurer. I suspect the same applies to accountants and their wealthy clients.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:35:28 AM UTC, charles wrote:

- OK

I don't think its really anything like that. Its simply that figures show t hat each different profession has different total costs to the insurer. The reasons why are many & varied, and I'm sure there are other factors with s howbiz, and with any of the categories. Certainly many are nonobvious.
NT

You should have called yourself a TV technician. They'd have thought you worked in a corner shop fixing them. ;-)
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

But you know as well as I do that a Trainee Accountant is not the same thing as an Accounts Assistant, is it?
For whatever reason (which you and I may or may not agree with), the insurers have decided that thet have different risks. Your risk, therefore, is that in the event of a claim involving youe daughter, they will disallow it based on the inaccurate job description.

ITYF that most high-risk occupations are not particularly highly-paid - musicians, publicans, for example. My wife is a doctor - reasonably paid, obviously, but doesn't get her premium loaded (even with business use).

This one comes pretty close, and is worth you looking at: http://tinyurl.com/4n75a3 (or http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker /)
--

David

grunted:

But it's not the same thing as an Accountant, either
tim
On 28/12/2014 10:08, TheChief wrote:

The premium is based on the likelihood of becoming an alcoholic. Boring jobs with responsibility have the greater risk.

I can describe my job in various ways and I've seen the same with a difference in premiums.
To get the best quote you really do have to shop around each year. Often brand loyalty is rewarded with premiums that are 30 to 50% higher than you find being a new customer with another insurance company.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

In fact doctors are at much higher risk of becoming an alcoholics than accountants. Drug addicts in spades.
And presumably some who might have become accountants ended up as account assistants because they are alcoholics too.
And your insurance is null and void if you have an accident drunk anyway.

I've never been asked for my job description when insuring a car.

I've actually found that with the compulsory insurance, its better to renew, essentially because I no longer bother with collision insurance and there is a substantial hike in the premium for the compulsory insurance if you don’t have collision insurance and my compulsory insurer assumes I have continued that.
wrote

and Mass murders too (funny things statistics)
wrote

That could be true! A friend of mine is a prison warden and Denis Nilsen once said to him "I have done some stupid things whilst I have been drunk"
--
Adam

On 31/12/14 09:38, ARW wrote:

That has to go down as understatement of the year!
A manager (not mine but same office) when I worked for the Employment Service in London (Jobcentres) told us he used to be Nilsen's supervisor in one of the London JCs. His comment was "he was quiet but something seems a bit odd".
On 28/12/2014 10:08, TheChief wrote:

Clearly qualifying as an accountant is a dangerous thing.

On 28/12/2014 10:08, TheChief wrote:

Insurance is all about statistics - i.e., how likely are you to claim on your policy and how much the claim is likely to be.
AFAIK the policy holder's profession is just another factor. Insurance companies use a database of professions and their likelihood of claiming based on past experience, and your quote is adjusted accordingly.

You're right of course but if you want a truly clean quote:
1. Use an address 2 doors up.
2. Enter car details rather than the reg.
3. Alter DoB by a few days.
4. Use fake name, phone nos and email addy.
Most insurers I have played this game with will let Mr Asdf Grityu change all those little details back and requote to pretty much the same figure when I am redirected to their site.
It's also let me find out which ones look up their current policy lists and inflate even comparison site quotes to the level of their quoted renewal premiums in an attempt to hide and enforce their new policy only discounts.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On 28/12/2014 10:08, TheChief wrote:

Also check the excess amounts. Some insurers will give a seeming competitive renewal quote but in reality they have changed the risk they are insuring by substantially increasing the excess amounts.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Be interesting to know the legal position if you obtain insurance based on false information?
--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *