OT: car breakdown cover (again)

The AA renewal has just come through - a short call to them got the price down by £42 (grrr!!!) but the AA's charging policy annoys me so much that I rang my insurance broker to see what they could offer. They proposed "The Rescue Service" which seems to give the same cover as the AA for 2/3 the price. Has anyone had any experience of using them, or are there any other services that people want to recommend?

Reply to
<no_spam

Never, ever just renew any any more - loyalty to customers went out the window long ago. Now they all just increase the premium each year, just as banks gradually lower the interest to their existing customers.

There is a breakdown cover comparison site, use that, then investigate their policies suitability. There is not much difference between them, other than the words in the small print.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

is a good place to start.

Reply to
Reentrant

PAYG is another approach. I think some of them will come out immediately if you join on the spot and are prepared to pay.

Lloyds bank have some scheme if you keep enough in your currrent a/c.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Do you actually need such a service in practice? If you do break down you can usually call out a service and join on the spot. Or pay direct to have the car taken to a garage, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lloyds Platinum was ?17/month and included amongst other benefits breakdown cover and worldwide travel insurance. Nationwide Flexplus offers very similar for ?10/month which covers both people on a joint account and I consider fairly good value (especially as it pays 4% gross on up to ?2500).

Reply to
AnthonyL

On 05 Dec 2014, Reentrant grunted:

+1: they recommend AutoAid, who operate in the same way as AA/RAC, but they use a network of independent local contractors who you have to pay directly (via credit card) when they come out to you, then you get claim afterwards and get reimbursed. I've been a member for years and had to use them twice; both times they were very good and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them. ?41/year for a couple, driving any vehicles, including vehicle transport.
Reply to
Lobster

It's possible, but worth checking the 'on the door' rates for this, because they're going to be substantially higher than the advertised ones. The normal policies have a 24 hour period before they take effect.

One other suggestion is you can get RAC with Tesco points, so if you have some of those it can work out reasonable value. Or synchronise your insurance and breakdown dates, as some insurance includes free breakdown.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Depends (as ever :-) ).

My wife would not want to be worrying about ringing up and joining the RAC, or having to get towed to the garage when broken down at 10pm on the M6 or whatever, with the kids in the car (frankly, nor would I). Or when the car won't start at 1am on her way back from work.

It's an insurance and for us it's worth it for the peace of mind and reduced stress when thing do go wrong.

Also, the assistance you get is more limited (well with the RAC, I assume other services are similar). For the first 24 hrs, you just get Roadside Assistance - repair or a tow to a local garage, no AA Relay type thing. The joining fee is higher, and there is also an emergency call out fee.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , AnthonyL writes

Yup, we have a Nationwide Flexplus account. So that gives us European car brakedown cover for both cars, also travel insurance for the family, and some other bits and bobs, so worth it for the £120 year

Reply to
Chris French

You can get the equivalent of AA Rescue with the RAC, but you pay extra.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Yes, I know, that's not what I meant.

If you call up and join the RAC when you have broken down, you can only get the roadside assistance service. You can't get the recovery home service for the first 24 hrs.

Reply to
Chris French

Yes- it's up to the individual if the cost is worth it for so called peace of mind.

Sadly, the various breakdown organisations don't always live up to their claims.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How often have you used it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most of the motoring organisations use a local contractor for rescue/recovery. You can arrange direct with them if you want the car taken home.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We (self and both daughters, so three policies) have been with AutoAid for years and have all used them a couple of times. More than pleased with the cost and the service:

Which? the breakdown or the travel insurance?

We haven't used this specific breakdown cover yet - we have only had it for a year and a bit I think. But we have used breakdown cover a number of times over the years. Including recovery home a couple of hundred miles.

Euro breakdown cover will get used most years as we tend to go to France quite often

Travel insurance will normally get used every year.

Reply to
Chris French

Indeed, like most things.

However, over the years we've been with different organisations, and every call out has been dealt with efficiently.

Reply to
Chris French

Of course - though I wonder home much a longish distance recovery costs.

I was just pointing it out as an exclusion if someone was comparing the costs

Reply to
Chris French

On 06 Dec 2014, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

But if you break down on the M1 on a rainy Saturday night, how does that work in practice? All I can think of is hoping you've got a decent data signal on your phone and then googling for somebody or other, and then hoping for the best that you find someone who knows what they're doing and that you don't get totally stitched up. All while you're on the hard shoulder!

Is there actually a reputable organisation with a centralised number which does this (ie just coordinates the rescue, and the punter just pays the mechanic direct?) I'd be keen to know, as I'd go for it myself. As it is, I use AutoAid (see my other post in this thread), which does provide a central number for me to call and organises the call-out (and then reimburses me the call-out cost later. That laat part I wouldn't mind doing away with, for a much lower, or preferably zero, annual membership fee).

Reply to
Lobster