OT: Capturing YouTube videos

There's a particular guitar lesson on YouTube that I'm watching that's about

9 minutes long. One particular section of it, probably about 2 minutes long, is evading all my efforts to copy so i could do with having that section in a loop so that I could keep practicing it over and over again with him as it were.

Anyone know how I can capture either just the section I need or, if I have to capture the full thing, how do I then go about isolating the bit I need?

Cheers

Reply to
Pete Zahut

"Pete Zahut" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Download the entire video with something like the DownloadThemAll Firefox extension. I don't know about editing it - others might - but a standalone video player's usually a lot more controllable.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oops, wrong one. DownloadHelper.

Adrian

In message , Pete Zahut writes

I use 'Orbit', which downloads YouTube (and some other) videos, and many other types of files.

It's a bit 'quirky', but it works very well. However, there are many other downloader programs. You might like to Google on 'YouTube + download'.

On the other hand (and certainly with my XP), once the red progress bar (beneath the video) has reached the right-hand side, the file is in the Temporary Internet Files folder. You can retrieve it from there. [It will have a strange name, but usually starts with "GetVideo". It's also pretty big (10 to 20MB), and, if you list by time/date, it will be at the top.]

As for trimming it, and making a loop, there are many cutter and joiner programs available. However, it's a while since I did this, and I'll have to think about (unless anyone comes up with a suggestion first).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

t I'm watching that's about

Where's it temporarily stored in Ubuntu?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Tabby gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I dunno about Orbit, but DownloadHelper asks you where to save it, same as any other download.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Tabby writes

Dunno. Until the video's finished playing and you've moved on, it's got to be somewhere in the works - but whether you can access it and save it is another matter. However, even with Windows, you might not be able to find it. A friend of mine certainly couldn't (but I don't know why). Note that (I think) the Temporary Internet Files folder is normally hidden, and you've got to make it 'visible'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

/tmp

Reply to
Huge

It's in /tmp and can be copied out of there. It has a weird name, but will likely be the biggest file in there.

Reply to
Huge

put youtube in the search box

the one i use is called 1-click, adds a choisce to save as mp4 FLV or GP3 bottom right of videos.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

A summary here plus the usual comments lower down the page.

Reply to
stuart noble

If it's not there already, you'll need to add the .flv to what ever you rename the file to.

I've been doing a bit of Googling, and this one looks interesting for editing the saved file.

I've never used it myself (I've usually used Kate's Video Cutter and Kate's Video Joiner), but I might give this one a try. But, as I said, there are many programs available for downloading, converting (if necessary), and editing.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

That's great George, thanks.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look at that.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Thanks very much Stuart.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Hoping that this goes to the end of the (current) messages because I'd just like to say thanks to all of you. I've downloaded the 1-Click add-on for Firefox to grab the video and I've got a couple of suggestions for editors as well so once again, thanks folks.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Not in Ubunutu, you won't. The Unix world doesn't have the nonsense of overloading the filename with metadata.

Reply to
Huge

The "Temporary Internet Files" thing on Windows is a major bodge job and many things can and do go wrong with it. Even when working "normally" it will slowly clog up with zero length files until the directories are so large it slows things right down. You need to look at it with dir commands from a command prompt in order to see what's really going on in there.

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

In message , "Brian Gregory [UK]" writes

Every time I visit that folder (in Windows) I usually delete everything in there (all the rubbish and cookies). If there's something in use, it simply stays put. So far, I've not killed my PC. But I'm not sure that I've noticed a subsequent speed-up.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Atube catcher is free, packed with loads of features and very stable and it's virtually idiot proof in operation.

**Just don't let in install the toolbar on install.**

It will also do conversions to many file formats but It won't let you edit.

What you can do is use a-b looping in a suitable media player

vlc player (again free) can be configured to repeat a section video, there is a loop a-b option - you need to enable 'advanced controls' play to the start point click the appropriate button let it play to the end, click again and it will repeat the secion ad infinitum.

The Other Mike