OT. CAMRA. Rant!

9 Reasons not to go to a beer festival.

You have to queue for half an hour: OK, this is Britain and you expect that. You expect to not have street entertainers or any razzamatazz take place unless you count drunks fighting and throwing up when it's over.

They charge you =A35 to sell you beer. OK, it's beer but if it isn't in a pub..... It might be real ale but it won't be what you are used to. (Unless you brew your own.)

Five quid -less a beer token and a glass that normally only a woman would use: They sell you a beer glass that holds half a pint and you get a token worth a quid. That's the entrance fee.

Real ale needs to be conditioned: It is kept in a cool cellar for a reason and has normally to be left on the stillage for as much as 3 days. Not in a beer dfestival hall. Those imitation beer tents are adverts for chemically settled keg lagers.

Real ale goes flat: There are rows of differet beers on offer. But you will be used to it coming out of the cellar with gas in it. Beer engines or not, you expect cool beer with an head.

You use the same glass for each sample: That's all they are, samples. Good job too as you can't just leave the glass to the barmaids and try something else, you have to hand the thing over to the barman and get him to tip it for you. He then sniffs the glass and wonders why you don't like it.

You don't know what you are drinking: But you have to get an half of it to find out. The problem is that though it qualifies as real ale, it isn't the stuff of your dreams back in the good old days. In the good old days, real ale was all they had and it came in proofs of 3.1 to 3.5. Nowadays even mild if you can find it (there were two on offer) is stronger than that.

CAMRA is not about culture: Unless you count yeast molds that is. They are just piss-ups geared to modern trends and have nothing to do with the way things were when you worked hard and drank hard. Today one shirks hard and drink hard stuff.

Well that's me shrieked out.

I wasted 5 quid and an hour of my time in which I paid for 1 1/2 pints. One glass I forced down my neck, one I gave back for ditching and one I drank half of before cutting my losses and heading home to spend a more profitable evening watching nothing on the TV.

I used to brew my own beer but gave it up as a bad job. I didn't expect to be reminded why in such a miserly way. I want to start a campaign for unreal ale. Only of course there is no need. Real men already drink it. That's why only ex-hippy types and hippie wannabies support CAMRA.

No one with any taste buys the stuff.

9: You get to keep the glass and it will remind you of a wasted evening the like of which you don't recall since the time you went to an accoustic only folk club and found it was held away from the bar, in a room unheated and devoid of tables.

Imagine wasting two evenings in one lifetime drinking beer. You wouldn't think it possible, would you?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer
9 Reasons not to go to a beer festival. [snip]

9: You get to keep the glass and it will remind you of a wasted evening the like of which you don't recall since the time you went to an accoustic only folk club and found it was held away from the bar, in a room unheated and devoid of tables.

Imagine wasting two evenings in one lifetime drinking beer. You wouldn't think it possible, would you?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I take it you don't have a beard?

Reply to
Vortex

You should know better. The annual Sri Lankan cricket festival held in Bromley is a good example of how to run an outdoor event. Excellent food and drink, reasonably priced, and a genuinely good atmosphere. Mind you, apart from one of the umpires, we were the only white people there. Not drawing any conclusions of course.

Reply to
Stuart Noble
9 Reasons not to go to a beer festival.

You have to queue for half an hour: OK, this is Britain and you expect that. You expect to not have street entertainers or any razzamatazz take place unless you count drunks fighting and throwing up when it's over.

They charge you £5 to sell you beer. OK, it's beer but if it isn't in a pub..... It might be real ale but it won't be what you are used to. (Unless you brew your own.)

[...]

The last beer festival I went to was in 1980 and was just as you described. It's nice to know that some things don't change ;)

Reply to
Codswallop

I tend to go to a better class of beer festival, where you can return the glass and get the deposit back, where you don't queue (unless you insist on Saturday) and where the beer tastes pretty good. It's not supposed to be chilled and fizzy, any more than you'd want red wine chilled or sparkling.

Rochford is next month.

Reply to
Joe
9 Reasons not to go to a beer festival.

Sounds like you should stick to lager.

Reply to
Andy

Must get round to trying that one this year...

Reply to
John Rumm
9 Reasons not to go to a beer festival.

Drink Cider then......Mans drink. Proper cider, not the wishy-washy shyte like Magners and Woodpecker. Plenty of quality ciders and perrys out there, just Google and look for them.

Many's the time I have been to a cider farm, sampled, purchased, drunk (too much) and woken next day without a hangover. Don't *do* lager as the chemicals give me the farts and a blinder of a headache. Bitter is an acquired taste and not to everyone liking. Newky Broon is fine, especially chilled on a summer evening. Guinness is only worth drinking if it's genuine Irish, although the London brewed stuff can be good is served properly and kept chilled to 52 degrees. (As most proper beers are.

Beer fests........Rarely worth going to unless organised by a quality publican.

Reply to
6

Guinness is only worth drinking if it's genuine Irish, although the London

Would "London" be the Park Poyal brewery which, closed some time ago (and has recently been sold!)

Don't drink the stuff myself, but you obviously can't tell the difference between Park Royal and St James's Gate product!

Try drinking with your taste buds, not with your preconceptions!

Reply to
Terry

The message from "Terry" contains these words:

My father in law worked there. He was in Quality Control - the queue for the job applications went round the block!

Reply to
Guy King

A crate of Guinness "Foreign Extra" followed me home from Makro last time I was there. Now that *is* nice... 7.5% ABV though!

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Weatherlawyer writes

uk.food+drink or somesuch is thataway ----------->.

Or you could try alt.beer or alt.drinks.beer or camra.org.uk or even try googling for a CAMRA forum.

Whatever... this isn't uk.chat, it's uk.d-i-y.

Cue good language, some f**ks, some offs, some c**ts and some mixes of them all. More noise... to which I have just added.

Someone

Reply to
somebody

Having drunk Guiness since I was 17, been to Ireland a few times, drunk in various establishments around the country and been thrown out for being too pissed to stand up many times on Cider AND Guinness I feel I already have the required qualifications for knowing what tastes right for me or whatever

Reply to
6

Go to the Reading one instead.

Hundreds of beers, including tasting notes to help you choose, so you don't accidentally end up with a mild delicately flavoured with oxen dung.

Choice of a pint or half glass (although you should only ever actually buy half a pint, you can spot newbies by them buying pints). Can return glass for refund if preferred.

Gratuitous overfilling of glasses. Half pints are more like 2/3rds.

No jugglers.

Great pig roasts and pasties.

Just plan on going early in the weekend. By the end, the beer's all gone. They often have to close a day early due to stock depletion. Also, there are horrendous queues to get in by the evening and no chance whatsoever of a table. There's never a queue at the bar, though. Best to take Friday afternoon off and get there early on Friday to grab a table. Alternatively, and especially in good weather, take along a picnic blanket and spread out on the grass.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle