OT: Calor Gas

They have a big arrow marked on the base, showing which way up they have to be laid into the cradle.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Actually, it's half the wrong answer. The difference *is* internal. But I've been labouring under a misapprehension all these years. I stand corrected.

Reply to
Huge

Its the other way around, the liquid is vaporised externally, if it wasn't the tank would freeze due to the high draw off rate.

Reply to
dennis

The tank would be covered in condensed water vapour which might freeze. LPG freezes at a very very low temperature.

To be vaporised externally i.e. in the regulator/vaporiser heat will be withdrawn from the surrounding environment. In automotive applications this heat is supplied by running the engine coolant through the vaporiser. Some systems had a temperature sensor so that the engine did not switch to LPG until a suitable temperature had been reached otherwise it would freeze up the regulator. I believe the original comment was correct. The tanks on fork lift trucks are vapour takeoff. We used the same regulator made by Garrett with LPG onto diesel engines

Reply to
bert

Or are there two types in use? The collar on the tank is clearly marked "liquid offtake only" in the video Colin linked to.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not that low. The gas pressure drops as it gets colder.

Butane will do sod all at about 4C. Propane will be OK in Britain unless you have a high draw off rate when it may well get cold enough to stop supplying gas.

Reply to
dennis

You wouldn't need a special for gas draw off, that's what all the others do. You would just mount it vertically.

Reply to
dennis

There are certainly the two types of tank Generally vapour take off on small (air cooled) engines liquid on larger engines (water cooled). There are also single hole tanks and 4-hole tanks. If it says liquid take off only on the tin that is what it will be. It's a while since I was involved with LPG conversions so the memory is getting a bit vague. However after a bit of googling I find reference eventually to instructions for refilling liquid take-off 29KG LPG cylinders and fixed tanks for Fork Lift Trucks from Calor.

Reply to
bert

Your are confusing boiling with freezing.

Reply to
bert

I'm equating what most people would regard as freezing, ie. the gas stops coming out of a cylinder that's not empty and it bloody cold.

Reply to
dennis

The liquid gas doesn't boil or freeze it just gets too cold to vaporise fast enough.

Bought a full butane cylinder in from the below freezing garage during the winter, definately full of slopping about liquid, it ran the fire on

1 bar (about 1 kW) for a few minutes then just ran out of gas. Couple of hours later once it had warmed up a bit it was fine.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The funniest thing is seeing people wrap their cylinder in a blanket to keep it warm :-(

Reply to
bert

And the gas is NOT freezing. Freezing is the change from liquid to solid states. Boiling is the change from liquid to gas and condensing the reverse. You should not encourage the thickos with false representation - unless you are one yourself of course.

Reply to
bert