OT - callers at door.

I know this isn't DIY. Does anyone know how to deal with hawkers and such who come to the door? I have had this three times in the last six months. Each time these people claim they do not speak English (one occasion claimed to be deaf!) and are toting wares ( dusters and towels) or pictures of various kinds they want to sell me.

It scares me. I usually do not answer the door. I cannot afford to buy the things anyway but if I get caught I am stuck. How do you deal with this?

I don't want to sound prejudiced but I noticed this when I first moved to my house 12 years ago. Then these people disappeared and now, since the new recession they have returned. I just don't like it. My husband must be equally afraid because he dealt with yesterdays caller and just gave home a fiver to go away!

Reply to
sweetheart

take their picture with a camera, answer the door naked, and ask them if they have received Jesus into their hearts.

Works every time.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have several signs up in my window.

The first says "No sales reps, hawkers or bible bashers, thank you"

The other signs specifically relate to the TVLA, Stagecoach drivers and political canvassers and tells them in no uncertain terms that they are not allowed on my property.

I seldom get people knocking on my door that I do not want to knock on my door.

Maybe you would find a door chain helpful. If you get an unwanted caller than they cannot open the door and you can just shut it in their face. Any foreigner or deaf person will understand that.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , sweetheart writes

Open door.

Reply to
fred

Giving someone like that a fiver was not a clever idea. Either he or his mates will be back for more now. I'm afraid in the circumstances you just have to be firm and decisive. Just say "I'm not interested" and close the door. Even if they keep talking just ignore them and close that door. If they knock again after doing that just shout through the closed door "F. off", they soon get the idea. The fiver to go away was a really bad thing to do - you can expect more of them now.

Reply to
David in Normandy

ARWadsworth wibbled on Tuesday 20 April 2010 16:05

???

Reply to
Tim Watts

Agree with the others. Open door, say 'Not interested thankyou', close door. Any hint of intimidation, contact the local police team.

Andy Cap

The neighbourhood police should be able to get you one of the official "we do not buy from door to door salemen" stickers. I cannot remember the exact wording.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There's also a lot of nicely printed plaques on Ebay. Reminds me that I meant to get one...

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Stagecoach run the local buses. I do not like to be woken up at 7am (first bus of the day) by a driver asking me to move my van or car because he cannot get a bus past when it someone else (usually a visitor to the street who has no idea that buses use it, who has parked up after I have parked) that has stopped the buses getting past.

I sent a nice polite letter to stagecoach explaining the situation. The notice in the window is a "gentle" reminder to the drivers.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My father used to feel sorry for these chaps and by the time he died he had cupboards full of cleaning cloths and pan scrubbers. Maybe it was the decent thing to do. helping someone up when they are down is a good thing. Better this than that they are forced t oa life of crime.

But, we had them call in our street recently and there were several of them. As they walked away from the area the were discussing the 'rating' they were going to give the street, presumably to advise those doing the next trip.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Speak to your local police crime prevention officer. My road has been designated a 'no cold calling zone' since an old man got ripped off badly by some 'roofers' last year. The police have put orange signs at each end of the road and it tends to discourage most of the nuisance callers. Google for 'no cold calling zone', you'll find lots to read. We have had a spate of chuggers recently who seem to think that it doesn't apply to them.

Reply to
pcb1962

Do Stagecoach drivers do a lot of cold calling?

Reply to
Clive George

Perhaps if you bought a job lot, you could sell them door- to- door John

Reply to
JTM

They do not do any calling now I have the sign up.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

An aunt of mine who had moved to Spain, made the mistake of giving some coins to a gypsy outside the church, she is pestered by them all, all the time now

John

Reply to
JTM

He lives int frozen north.

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Someone sending dial-a-ride to your door?

Reply to
Adrian C

Reply to
Bruce

If the callers claim not to speak English, surely they would also claim not to read it?

Reply to
Bruce