OT: Calendar s/w

Nice evening, isn't it!

I'm after a small, simple freeware calendar/scheduler program. Something that'll divvy the day up into 1hr chunks so I can fill in what I've been doing with my time. A bit like the calendar in Outlook but without having to install 4TB of MSOffice.

Just installed the StickyNote s/w recommended in another thread - I'm trying to organise myself, you can tell!

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Scott M

I use Efficient Reminder Free:

also do Efficient PIM Free:
at a Yorkshire-man's favourite price and very good :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Windows Live Calendar from Microsoft isn't too bad - and it is free! You download the Windows Live Mail desktop client (from

, which has a calendar component, and your calendar can be updated on the desktop client, or via the web portal, and both are kept in sync. Seems to work quite well actually! [Additionally I sync the calendar with my Nokia smart phone using Mail For Exchange synchronisation, but that sounds further than the OP needs to go]

Reply to
pepper

In message , Scott M writes

We use Google calendar, which may or may not be suitable, as it is an online one.

But as a calendar it works well. A few years ago I was looking for a free calendar for us to use. We ended up using it because it was the first one I tried that would enable us to easily colour code different categories of things

Reply to
chris French

Cheers but on principle I refuse to install the ridiculous amount of crap that comes with MS Live. Tried it once when pestered into using MSN and it was insanely over-bloated.

Reply to
Scott M

Cheers, will give it a bash. That's my favourite price too! :-)

Reply to
Scott M

I have Organizer on this Acorn machine. Does absolutely all the sort of things you'd have used a Filofax for. But of course automatically. Anniversaries etc. And gives an alarm at when you want it.

There are many requests on the Acorn groups every year for a PC equivalent

- and it seems one just doesn't exist. I've not found one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I had space I'd dig out my A3000 :-(

PC s/w always seems to go for absolute bloat; trying to provide a million features without getting the core offering right.

Reply to
Scott M

I'm not sure the current version - it's still being supported and developed would run on a 3000.

However, there's always virtual Acorn for a PC and you could then run all the old killer apps like !Draw. ;-)

Indeed. My XP machines take about 5 minutes to get going. And every single prog seems to want to give you every possible bell and whistle rather than concentrating on making the basics easy and quick to use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did download the offered alternative to !Draw a while ago but have never got round to playing with it. I did have a play with a BBC Micro emulator recently and relived my childhood. I should try an ARC emulator and relive my teens!

My XP laptop takes about 50sec. I will not tolerate apps that insist on starting up tray apps pointlessly. Most of the ones that I do let run are really lightweight (two are ones I've written!) or are, ummm, Apache. Don't bother with virus checkers and firewalls and nonsense like that.

Reply to
Scott M

Mine's about that fast, but for some reason if you log off or shut down it stalls for a couple minutes as if waiting for some process to time out - then carries on as if it hadn't.

So I just shut the lid and hibernate it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

That's got the look I'm after - 5 days of hours. Not sure if I want to use it through a browser. I think I'll have to play with it and see how we get on :-)

Reply to
Scott M

I like it, I've not really had any issues with it being web based. Very occasionally there is the odd glitch, where it doesn't load all the calendars properly, or an entry might not enter properly, but 99% of the time it works fine.

Reply to
chris French

My gripe is that it sees the need to have "features" at all. I'd rather just the "core offering" bit and chain things together to get more complicated tasks done.

The Windows world is horrible for it, but even Linux has been going the same way in recent years :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Why stick with it then? The Times today had an article about cyber-wars and botnets, but failed to emphasise that it's Windows machines that are the target of all this stuff.

Reply to
Tim Streater

With which? I haven't run Windows "in anger" since 1993, which was the time I moved to Linux. I only dabbled briefly a few years back with any of the *BSD OSes though, but whilst they seemed to be very good for server-side stuff, it looked like an awful lot of work to run one as a useful desktop machine; maybe that's changed?

And yes, you're right, mainstream media is pretty bad at making it clear when these threats are specific to a certain OS, and usually give the impression that it's "all computers" :-(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Keeping it simple to sell.

As of last month, one website

that last month, 5.1% of hits were via Linux, 8% via Mac OS, and all the rest via Windows of some sort. The most common version was XP, rather annoyingly for M$.

A lot of malware now is beginning to exploit browser deficiencies and use social engineering, which tends to be cross-platform, so will catch unaware users on all operating systems.

So, there's a pretty good chance that most malware will target 87% or more of the user base. That's close enough to all computers for the media, who probably mostly use Apples of some sort, anyway. They can feel smug until a Mac based baddy arrives.

I'll move to Linux when it will (a) talk to all my hardware and (b) run decent navigation, sound recording and video editing programs.

I've tried quite a few. :-/

Reply to
John Williamson

Given that you use Thunderbird, have you tried Lightning?

Reply to
Andy Burns

But why?

There's something wrong with it (and I don't mean having XP) in that case.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The other OSs are minority interest :-)